Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Travel deductions

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 989

Replies 2

I travel form Sydney to Melbourne a couple of times a year for a max of 5 nights at a time. I work as a contractor (PAYG not self employed). When I travel, I pay for my own meals, car rental, flights, etc. and I don’t claim these back from my employer.

Can I claim these as a deduction when I do my tax return? What records do I need to keep?

Also for meals can I claim the max allowance set by the ATO rather than having to keep receipts for the actual costs?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @MR _xavier81,

@macfanboy is correct.

We have some info on our website about travel expenses, what you can claim and what documentation you need.

Thanks @NateATO

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

First of all, if you are required to travel for work then your employer really needs to compensate you $ for $ for your expenses as a reimbursement, if they do you will get back 100% of what you spent.

Any deductions that you claim in a tax return you will only get back at your nominal tax rate. 

If you also don't receive a "Travel Allowance" from your employer then you are required to keep all receipts for anything claimed.

You can not claim the maximum allowance.

Having a letter from your employer stating this travel was work-related will also help.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @MR _xavier81,

@macfanboy is correct.

We have some info on our website about travel expenses, what you can claim and what documentation you need.

Thanks @NateATO