Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Unsalable Share parcel

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 712

Replies 1

Some years ago a stupidly bought some shares in a US company capital raise. It’s traded on OTCQB (pink).

I only ever had have had a physical share cert. and I think I have lost these. They also have some sort of restriction on them and I’m told I need a “Green Medallion Guarantee Stamp” to do anything with then.

The shares are now worth less than $14 and I want to know if there is any way to write this off as an unsalable share parcel and realize the tax loss?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Totallystumped,

That is a hard situation for you. You are only able to claim a loss if you have been notified in writing that their will be no further distribution. You would also need to have records.

Thanks

KylieS

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Totallystumped,

That is a hard situation for you. You are only able to claim a loss if you have been notified in writing that their will be no further distribution. You would also need to have records.

Thanks

KylieS