Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

request TFN from overseas

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Initiate

Views 976

Replies 3

Hello Community, I'm currently overseas and on my way of getting my work visa via sponsorship. My sponsor has suggested starting applying for the TFN while the visa is issued. 

1. I understand I can request it from overseas. Can this be online (email) or just via postal mail? 

2. If by postal mail: I have to send other documents to Australia, can I send this to a friend and ask her to send the corresponding documents to apply for the TFN?

Kind regards. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Angellica,

Check out the information on our website on how to apply for a TFN from overseas.

Thanks

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Angellica,

Check out the information on our website on how to apply for a TFN from overseas.

Thanks

KylieS

Initiate

Replies 1

Thanks, Kylie. I believe I would like to confirm some information (I might be in denial) 

1. The only way to apply is via postal mail? it is sort of expensive sending documents from my country. I was thinking of asking a friend that lives in Melbourne to print my scanned documents (certified copies of passport, birth certificate with respective official translations) and signed form application and ask her to forward them to you. Can this be done? or can I fax them from here?

2. The copy of my documents are certified by a public notary, would they still need an apostille?

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Angellica

Thanks for your reply.

If you want to apply for your TFN while you are still overseas, you will need to apply via mail in accordance with the information on our website. Getting your friend to do it on your behalf by submitting scanned documents wouldn't meet our requirements. Faxing your application also isn't an option.

You can have your documents photocopied and certified as true and correct by a Notary Public. If you choose this option you don't need to have them certified by way of an apostille.

For more information about our document certification requirements, have a look at the copies of documents – applicants outside Australia page on our website.

An alternative TFN application option is to wait until you are already in Australia and apply electronically. To be able to do this, you will need to meet three conditions.

You can read about those conditions as well as apply online for a TFN via the foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application page. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR