Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Claiming super contributions from rental as a tax deduction

Views 337

Replies 2

Hi All,

Need some clarification. I am an Australian citizen but not a resident. I have a property in Australia which earns a rental income. This is the only income I earn in Australia. Can I pay all of that rental income into my superannuation fund (which is still active) and claim it as a tax deduction? If so, is the tax on the amount paid into super funds then taxed at 15%?

Thanks and Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @sgioskos,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You can make contributions into your super fund and claim a deduction against them. The rental income still needs to be declared on your tax return. A Notice of Intent to claim a deduction needs to be sent to your fund before you claim the deduction, the contributions will then be taxed at 15%. The fund will send you an acknowledgement after receiving the form. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2. 

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @sgioskos,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You can make contributions into your super fund and claim a deduction against them. The rental income still needs to be declared on your tax return. A Notice of Intent to claim a deduction needs to be sent to your fund before you claim the deduction, the contributions will then be taxed at 15%. The fund will send you an acknowledgement after receiving the form. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2. 

Replies 0

Many thanks for the information.

Best Regards.