• 136 Online
  • 20957 Members
  • 23208 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Departing Australia Superannuation Payments - When To Claim?

Ask a question

Initiate

Views 1386

Replies 4

Hi All,

I am hoping you can help my girlfriend and I figure out what we need to do to claim our Super when we leave Australia. We are both currently on Working Holiday Visas (subclass 417) and will be leaving the country soon, I have been reading the information that can be found here https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/withdrawing-and-paying-tax/super-information-for-... and have a question.

In the linked article it says that you should start the DASP process before leaving Australia, it also says that you should only file for DASP once all superannuation payments have been made. Looking at the super payment dates the next payment is due on October 28th but we are leaving the country on October 19th. What should we do in this case, should we file for DASP now or should we wait until after October 28th? If we do wait until after October 28th what complications can this provide?

Any help and advice that you can give will be greatly apprecieated.

Cheers,

Luke.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 3

Hi lukehillonline

You can't apply for the DASP if you're still in the country. All you can do is start the application process, attach any required documentation, then save it and log on from overseas once your visa is no longer active to apply for the DASP.

It's much easier to certify any required documentation in Australia than to do so overseas so it makes sense to get this done before you leave.

Given that you'll be hitting the 'apply' button overseas it probably doesn't make much difference if you wait the extra 9 days. And there won't be any complications from hitting the button too late, the complication would be if you hit the button too early and another super contribution then arrives from your employer and is stuck in your account.

Your employer may not wait until the very last day to pay the super. You could contact your super fund, ask if they've received the employer contribution for the July to September quarter. Once they've received it there's no need to hold off on applying any longer.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here

4 REPLIES 4

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 3

Hi lukehillonline

You can't apply for the DASP if you're still in the country. All you can do is start the application process, attach any required documentation, then save it and log on from overseas once your visa is no longer active to apply for the DASP.

It's much easier to certify any required documentation in Australia than to do so overseas so it makes sense to get this done before you leave.

Given that you'll be hitting the 'apply' button overseas it probably doesn't make much difference if you wait the extra 9 days. And there won't be any complications from hitting the button too late, the complication would be if you hit the button too early and another super contribution then arrives from your employer and is stuck in your account.

Your employer may not wait until the very last day to pay the super. You could contact your super fund, ask if they've received the employer contribution for the July to September quarter. Once they've received it there's no need to hold off on applying any longer.

Initiate

Replies 2

Hey Seb,
This is extremely helpful thank you so much for your advice.
To further my question, what exactly is the information that we need to gain while we are still in Australia? From what I have been told, we just need to call our super provider(s), inform them we are leaving and the country and they will know what to do. Is this correct?
Thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
Luke.
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi Luke

You'll need to fill out a form to apply for the DASP. Your fund may have their own application form, or may instead direct you to use the ATO's DASP system to apply.

If you use the DASP online system the ATO will forward the DASP application to the relevant super funds.

Here's a link to ato.gov.au information about using the DASP online system. This includes the information you need to provide with your claim:

• name, date of birth and other personal details
  • email address
  • passport country
  • passport number
  • TFN (optional)
  • super account details, including your super fund (provider)'s Australian business number (ABN) – you can use the system to search for the ABN based on the fund's name.

If the amount you're claiming is more than $5,000 your fund will need certified copies of proof of identification documents to be able to pay the DASP.

Initiate

Replies 0

Amazing thank you so much for your help.
Top Solution Authors