Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: Super

Highlighted

Views 395

Replies 3

I am starting working for us based small company online work i am doing hardly 40 hours per month.
Company happy to pay salary and super direct my account.
It's possible can i pay super on behalf of company
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi Farri11

No. Any employer with an SG obligation must make this payment themselves to avoid the SG charge. An employee can't fulfill this obligation on behalf of an employer.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the situation is with the US employer you're working for. Are they otherwise in the Australian system? eg Does the employer have an Australian Business Number (ABN)?

Possibly they're not an employer for SG purposes.

Possibly you're just receiving an increased income amount that takes the super that isn't being paid into account.

You can always make a personal contribution to super if you like, and claim a tax deduction for it in your income tax return. This will approximately put you in the same position as if the employer had made the contribution on your behalf.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi Farri11

No. Any employer with an SG obligation must make this payment themselves to avoid the SG charge. An employee can't fulfill this obligation on behalf of an employer.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the situation is with the US employer you're working for. Are they otherwise in the Australian system? eg Does the employer have an Australian Business Number (ABN)?

Possibly they're not an employer for SG purposes.

Possibly you're just receiving an increased income amount that takes the super that isn't being paid into account.

You can always make a personal contribution to super if you like, and claim a tax deduction for it in your income tax return. This will approximately put you in the same position as if the employer had made the contribution on your behalf.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank for replying back
Yes you right company don't have australia business number (ABN).
I gonna ask company give me increase amount for super which I will contribute in super.
If company won't pay me super do i really need to contribute?
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi again

No, you don't need to contribute. The SG obligation is only for employers. Workers aren't required to make super contributions. But you have the option to do so, if you want to put yourself in a similar position to an employee.