Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Re: Superannuation Concessional Election

Highlighted

Views 866

Replies 2

My employer has contributed more than the allowable concessional cap last financial year and at the start of December 2018 I received a bill to pay the extra tax owing on it. I elected to draw the required funds from my super fund (PSSAP) on 4 December. So far so good and in line with what happened last year.

Fast forward to mid January and I get a reminder bill from the ATO threatening interest charges/legal action etc. Long story short, after calling the super fund, then the ATO and then super fund again I am informed of the following:

1. This is a known issue from the ATO's perspective where PSSAP have not been getting concessional election notices from them (and therefore are unable to process anything).
  2. The ATO help desk (once I got to the right one) had heard other clients having the same issue but did not know if and when it would be fixed.
  3. The Super fund have reported the issue with the ATO who cite it as a known issue with no resolution date....
  4. I've let it go another 14 days and no progress or any indication as to when/if this will be fixed...

Meanwhile I keep getting reminders (despite me calling the debt section and them granting me another month to pay while the issue is 'hopefully sorted out').

My question is - is this an issue that others are having? Does the ATO or anyone else have any advice on when/how this issue will be fixed?? It feels a bit like I am getting the run around and haven't got any real voice to ask anyone at the ATO...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @Mboy

This is an issue the ATO is currently working on resolving. You can find the advice the ATO issued to super funds here:

CRT Alert 002/2019 - Excess contributions and Division 293 release authority statements

Here's the relevant bit relating to your situation:

Release authority statements not issuing

We have identified a small number of RAS that have not been issued to funds.

We are investigating this matter and until it is resolved, our call centre staff are advising clients not to call their fund directly.

No debt action will be taken against the affected clients we have identified.

Further updates will be issued on the progress of these two issues.

Until this issue is resolved you'll continue to get a monthly statement of account, but this is just information. The ATO debt area is aware of this situation and shouldn't contact you directly to seek payment of the outstanding tax liability.

I don't know when the situation is expected to be resolved, but when it is (i.e. as soon as the RAS is able to be issued) your super fund will action it and this will take care of the extra tax.

If you want to talk to someone at the ATO about this situation, you can call the ATO superannuation helpline on 13 10 20.

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @Mboy

This is an issue the ATO is currently working on resolving. You can find the advice the ATO issued to super funds here:

CRT Alert 002/2019 - Excess contributions and Division 293 release authority statements

Here's the relevant bit relating to your situation:

Release authority statements not issuing

We have identified a small number of RAS that have not been issued to funds.

We are investigating this matter and until it is resolved, our call centre staff are advising clients not to call their fund directly.

No debt action will be taken against the affected clients we have identified.

Further updates will be issued on the progress of these two issues.

Until this issue is resolved you'll continue to get a monthly statement of account, but this is just information. The ATO debt area is aware of this situation and shouldn't contact you directly to seek payment of the outstanding tax liability.

I don't know when the situation is expected to be resolved, but when it is (i.e. as soon as the RAS is able to be issued) your super fund will action it and this will take care of the extra tax.

If you want to talk to someone at the ATO about this situation, you can call the ATO superannuation helpline on 13 10 20.

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thanks very much JamesF!

Cheers