Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Superannuation on commission

I'm new

Views 3850

Replies 4

Hi, 

I've been working in recruitment for the last 3 years and have always had super paid ontop of my salary + commission however, my new employer appears to be trying to pay the super out of my comms. 

Can someone please confirm if an employer is obliged to pay super on salary + commission - 9.5% of (Salary + commission). OR can the take the superannuation out of your commission payable? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @GeorgiaHart,

Thank you for your questions.

Employers must calculate super guarantee (SG) at 9.5% of ordinary time earnings (OTE). As you likely know, OTE includes payments such as commissions.

Please refer to our information page on SG and how much to pay for more details.

As for whether SG can be deducted from the commission or needs to be paid on top of it depends on what your award, agreement or contract allows. While the usual practice is to pay SG as an additional payment, it can be deducted from payments such as commissions. In turn, we suggest that you have a look at the applicable document and have a chat with your employer.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @GeorgiaHart,

Thank you for your questions.

Employers must calculate super guarantee (SG) at 9.5% of ordinary time earnings (OTE). As you likely know, OTE includes payments such as commissions.

Please refer to our information page on SG and how much to pay for more details.

As for whether SG can be deducted from the commission or needs to be paid on top of it depends on what your award, agreement or contract allows. While the usual practice is to pay SG as an additional payment, it can be deducted from payments such as commissions. In turn, we suggest that you have a look at the applicable document and have a chat with your employer.

Thanks.

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @ATOGHQuestions 

We have had another look at your question and added some additional information to our previous reponse. Check it out.

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi, I have the same issue within the recruitment industry. If the super payment is being deducted from monies owed to me then shouldnt it be shown as a personal contribution in my super account? 

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Joe99,

If its your employers superannuation guarantee contribution it will be recorded as an employer contribution. If its your post tax contribution it will show up as a personal contribution. It all depends how it is being paid into the fund.