This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• 48 Online
  • 9186 Members
  • 14615 Posts

Re: ATO spam calls

Tej

Views 118

Replies 4

Hi, I have been receiving a number of calls from a number starting whth +61 and no caller id stating themselves to be from ato and There is a case against me. I hung up every time but they continue to call. I called up ATO yesterday on the number from ATO spam website starting with 180000 and ending with 8540 and They asked me a alot of questions before letting me know if they called me or not. I am just confused now that did I call the right number to ask about the spam and if yes then why did they ask so many questions regarding my tfn, personal details, tax agent details so that they can verify my account. And later the lady even said that ATO dint make any call and if it happens again contact your local police. I know it sounds stupid but worried as I have recieved spam calls from ato almost every day.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 1

Hi @Tej,

Thanks for reaching out.

We understand receiving a spam call can be extremely stressful – it’s sometimes hard to tell if the call is legitimate or not.

So we wanted to provide you with some additional information to help you spot a scam.

You can find information about the latest scams on our website, including the number to call us on to report a scam (1800 008 540).  You can also subscribe to email alerts which will keep you up to date on any new information on our website, including scam alerts.

We have a list of things to look out for if someone calls you claiming to be from the ATO.  These include:

• threatening you with arrest, deportation or court action
  • accusing you of fraud
  • asking you to pay your ‘debt’ with a prepaid visa or store card, iTunes  card, bitcoin or by money transfer
  • asking you to call back on a number that’s not listed on our website.

On that last point, if the number the caller asks you to call back on isn’t listed on our websitedon’t call it!

As @MVF mentioned, when you call us the customer service representative will ask you a number of questions to establish your identity so they can access your account.  This is to ensure they’re speaking to the right person. 

Once they’ve established your identity, they’ll check your account to see if there is any record of us making an outbound phone call to you (if an ATO officer tries to contact you, they'll leave a note on your account).

In a number of these scams, the caller will advise you have a debt with the ATO.  If you have a myGov account and you’ve linked our online services, you can check your personal tax accounts to confirm if you do have any outstanding amounts.  If you have a business, you can check your accounts through the Business Portal.  And as @macfanboy said, you can always give us a call to check.

If you are contacted by a scammer, we’d encourage you to report the scam.  The information you provide helps us:

• identify the latest scams, and
  • provide information to the community so they know what to look out for.

There are a few other government websites which provide information on identifying scams, protecting your personal information and staying safe online. These include:

And one last thing – we’d love for you to share this information with your family and friends.  Knowing how to identify a scam is one of the best ways to protect ourselves against them.

Thanks, NicM.

4 REPLIES
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

First of all don't worry...

Then Call the ATO on 13 28 61 and ask if they have tried to contact you and if everything is up to date with your tax.

Then any future times you receive any more calls hang up immediately.

MVF
Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Tej

When you initially call any of the listed ATO phone numbers they will always ask you a range of security questions in order to positively identify you before they discuss any account details with you, its all part of their security measures to make sure they are dealing with the correct person.   Even if you call the general income tax assistance phone line for individuals they will ask you similar questions to positively identify you.

The spam calls are from third parties trying to extort money from you, so just keep hanging up on them and block them if you can .. on some phones such as Telstra landline phones you can even place a call baring from international callers so no one from overseas can contact you, but you have to initially organise to have that service made available on your phone and you do that by phoning your service provider so you can turn international call baring on and off when you  want to.

ATO 13 28 61

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 1

Hi @Tej,

Thanks for reaching out.

We understand receiving a spam call can be extremely stressful – it’s sometimes hard to tell if the call is legitimate or not.

So we wanted to provide you with some additional information to help you spot a scam.

You can find information about the latest scams on our website, including the number to call us on to report a scam (1800 008 540).  You can also subscribe to email alerts which will keep you up to date on any new information on our website, including scam alerts.

We have a list of things to look out for if someone calls you claiming to be from the ATO.  These include:

• threatening you with arrest, deportation or court action
  • accusing you of fraud
  • asking you to pay your ‘debt’ with a prepaid visa or store card, iTunes  card, bitcoin or by money transfer
  • asking you to call back on a number that’s not listed on our website.

On that last point, if the number the caller asks you to call back on isn’t listed on our websitedon’t call it!

As @MVF mentioned, when you call us the customer service representative will ask you a number of questions to establish your identity so they can access your account.  This is to ensure they’re speaking to the right person. 

Once they’ve established your identity, they’ll check your account to see if there is any record of us making an outbound phone call to you (if an ATO officer tries to contact you, they'll leave a note on your account).

In a number of these scams, the caller will advise you have a debt with the ATO.  If you have a myGov account and you’ve linked our online services, you can check your personal tax accounts to confirm if you do have any outstanding amounts.  If you have a business, you can check your accounts through the Business Portal.  And as @macfanboy said, you can always give us a call to check.

If you are contacted by a scammer, we’d encourage you to report the scam.  The information you provide helps us:

• identify the latest scams, and
  • provide information to the community so they know what to look out for.

There are a few other government websites which provide information on identifying scams, protecting your personal information and staying safe online. These include:

And one last thing – we’d love for you to share this information with your family and friends.  Knowing how to identify a scam is one of the best ways to protect ourselves against them.

Thanks, NicM.

Tej

Replies 0

Thank You so much for the reply. I was too much stressed after receiving so many calls and got worried when I called the ATO office and they asked so many question. I got worried that shared my personal information with someone.
Top Solution Authors