This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• 78 Online
  • 9187 Members
  • 14616 Posts

Re: Setting up as a sole trader and carrying out work for a UK company

Views 46

Replies 2

I'm an Australian permanent resident currently living and working in the UK. I'm going to be resigning from the company I work for and returning to Australia. I plan to set up as a sole trader and my first customer will be the company I used to work for in the UK. I'll be billing them in AUD and with this and other work expect to exceed the GST threshold. Do I need to add GST to the  invoices I send to the company in the UK? 

I think I understand the tax requirements, they are the same as an individual tax payer so I'll set aside money for tax and complete a return the same way I used to as an Australian employee. However I'm not sure about the GST, assuming I reach the GST threshold, how is this paid and is it on all income? 

Going by information here - https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/business-advice/business-structure/sole-trader - I'm not sure if I need an ABN or if that is only if I register a business name? Can someone please clarify? It sounds like if I need to register for GST I will need an ABN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 1

2 REPLIES
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 1

Replies 0

Thanks for the link, I'd done some searching but not found that post, lots of good info in the reply. 

Top Solution Authors