• 49 Online
  • 13192 Members
  • 16659 Posts

Re: Tourist Refund - On-line

Ask a question

Views 353

Replies 2

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is clarity around on-line purchases and claiming the refund?

The instructions here [https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/tourist-refund-scheme/for-travellers] says "goods purchased over the Internet and imported into Australia" cannot be refunded, yet:

1. most manufactured goods are imported; and

2. some large on-line sites now pay GST (eBay, Amazon etc).

So, for example, if I purchased noise-cancelling headphones to take and use on the plane from Amazon Australia (who have an ABN) and supplied from an Australian supplier, could I claim the refund?

Thanks in advance, oh knowledgeable ones. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @rooboy

You can generally claim the GST component back under the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) when departing Australia if;

• The headphones were purchased from a business with a Australian business number, and total $300 (GST inclusive) or more.
  • you’re leaving Australia and you purchased the headphones in the 60 days before leaving Australia
  • you’ve got the original tax invoice for the headphones, and when you rock up to TRS facility you can prove that you're the travelling passenger that paid for them, and
  • you’re listening to tunes on your new cans as you make the claim (you usually need to carry or wear the goods on board the aircraft or ship as cabin baggage).

The ATO has provided some info on TRS here. It sounds like you’ll be able to make a claim as you're not importing the goods as a consumer (importation probably happened earlier in the supply chain). This is just an assumption, and I’d suggest you get a firm answer from the TRS team directly, as it's administered by Home Affairs (Border Force). You can call them on one-three hundred 555 043 or email trs@abf.gov.au

Cheers,

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @rooboy

You can generally claim the GST component back under the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) when departing Australia if;

• The headphones were purchased from a business with a Australian business number, and total $300 (GST inclusive) or more.
  • you’re leaving Australia and you purchased the headphones in the 60 days before leaving Australia
  • you’ve got the original tax invoice for the headphones, and when you rock up to TRS facility you can prove that you're the travelling passenger that paid for them, and
  • you’re listening to tunes on your new cans as you make the claim (you usually need to carry or wear the goods on board the aircraft or ship as cabin baggage).

The ATO has provided some info on TRS here. It sounds like you’ll be able to make a claim as you're not importing the goods as a consumer (importation probably happened earlier in the supply chain). This is just an assumption, and I’d suggest you get a firm answer from the TRS team directly, as it's administered by Home Affairs (Border Force). You can call them on one-three hundred 555 043 or email trs@abf.gov.au

Cheers,

Replies 0

Thank you @Miccles

Informative and midly humourous!  What more could one ask for?!

I'll e-mail the TRS team and get an answer ...which I might post here for others.

Cheers!

Top Solution Authors