This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• 73 Online
  • 9187 Members
  • 14616 Posts

Re: tax refund

Views 3825

Replies 5

Hi, according to my online check on ATO, my tax return was finalised on 14th July 2017 and should have reached my nominated bank account. However, there was a debt followed my tax return this year but I just paid off 4 days ago. Therefore, I'm wondering when I can get my tax return or how long does it take to process my payment for debt and receive my refund? Thankyou so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @qnngg,

Thanks for following up with us. We can't guarantee it's safe to discuss your personal tax affairs on a public forum, so we can only provide general information - we can't access your account or check to follow up the progress of your return.

However, it's important to know that if you have a tax debt and you're due to receive a refund or credit (for example, from an earlier tax return or activity statement), we're required by law to use the refund or credit to reduce your debt. If you've paid too much (either via your return or by making payments towards your account), the extra amount will be refunded to you.

If we've applied some or all of your refund against any outstanding liabilities, you should receive a statement of account along with your notice of assessment to explain what's happened.

You can ask us to explain your account balances by phoning us on 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Friday and selecting option 4, then option 3 on the automated menu.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @qnngg

I'd suggest you check your ATO online service via MyGov, up the top select tax from the toolbar, then income tax and then select account.
Once you have done that you will see a blue hyper link, commonly 551. When you click on it you can then see your statement of account. The reason i suggest you do this, is to see if your account is in credit.
It sounds like we've taken the refund to repay your debt but you've paid it as well?, therefore you may have a credit still. Seeing your transaction history hopefully will give you more answers.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Replies 1

Hi, in that case, how long does it take so I can receive my tax return as it has been more than 3 weeks uo to now already!

Devotee

Replies 0

So can you see a credit on the account?

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @qnngg,

Thanks for following up with us. We can't guarantee it's safe to discuss your personal tax affairs on a public forum, so we can only provide general information - we can't access your account or check to follow up the progress of your return.

However, it's important to know that if you have a tax debt and you're due to receive a refund or credit (for example, from an earlier tax return or activity statement), we're required by law to use the refund or credit to reduce your debt. If you've paid too much (either via your return or by making payments towards your account), the extra amount will be refunded to you.

If we've applied some or all of your refund against any outstanding liabilities, you should receive a statement of account along with your notice of assessment to explain what's happened.

You can ask us to explain your account balances by phoning us on 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Friday and selecting option 4, then option 3 on the automated menu.

Thanks.

Devotee

Replies 0

Also note that if they have used your refund to pay back a previous debt and you have paid it already there will be a "Credit" in your account and you can apply for this to be paid back to you.

Top Solution Authors