Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: 6 Year Rule

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 295

Replies 2

Hi. For the past 5 years my wife and I moved from our PPOR into our beach house when we retired. We realise we have to move back to the PPOR within the next 12 months and again make it our PPOR. The question that no one seems to be able to answer is:

“After moving back in to the PPOR and changing all the relevant paperwork, ie: electoral roll, driving license, rates, etc, etc back to new address, how long do I need to occupy the property before I can move out and resume the rental again?

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 1

There is no set time period, it has to be long enough for the ATO to be happy that you have genuinely moved there and you are not conducting a scheme to take advantage of the PPOR rules.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 1

There is no set time period, it has to be long enough for the ATO to be happy that you have genuinely moved there and you are not conducting a scheme to take advantage of the PPOR rules.

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Jeff3123 @MCA_Accountants 

This, of course, means a possible Capital Gains situation when you sell the "Beach House'.