Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Can I access my super fund to purchase an investment property overseas

I'm new

Views 412

Replies 3

Can I access some of my super fund to purchase an investment property abroad? I am not in a SMSF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Julian2

Thank you for your question. Thank you to the previous posters.

The first question is can you access your superannuation (and you're not in an SMSF). To access your superannuation, rules apply according to your circumstances:

The rate at which your super benefits will be taxed depends upon several factors. See our webpage Tax on withdrawing your super - Tax on benefits.

The second question is can you purchase an overseas property? What you choose to do with the funds you then have access to is your choice. The money is your own. However, I don't know enough of your particular circumstances to discuss any rules regarding purchasing a property.

I hope this assists

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Julian2 

Are you over 60?

Megastar

Replies 0

From SMSF you can Purchase Property Overseas but rate of return should come Australian Account.

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Julian2

Thank you for your question. Thank you to the previous posters.

The first question is can you access your superannuation (and you're not in an SMSF). To access your superannuation, rules apply according to your circumstances:

The rate at which your super benefits will be taxed depends upon several factors. See our webpage Tax on withdrawing your super - Tax on benefits.

The second question is can you purchase an overseas property? What you choose to do with the funds you then have access to is your choice. The money is your own. However, I don't know enough of your particular circumstances to discuss any rules regarding purchasing a property.

I hope this assists