Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

GST

Highlighted

Views 268

Replies 1

I rent out part of my home on Booking.com. i dont need an ABN. Booking.com has been taking 10% GST since January. They insist. Do I have to register for an ABN now to sort this out.
Airbnb does not charge GST but I use them as well. If I get a ABN do I have to charge GST on all or just those bookings from Booking.com.
Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jennifer2610,

I've answered your other question here, but I'd just like you address a few of your concerns here.

You should only apply for an ABN if you are operating a business or are otherwise entitled to hold an ABN. Just because you are being charged GST does not necessarily mean that you are required to register for an ABN, or even for GST for that matter.

In order to be able to charge GST, you would first need to be registered for GST as well as an ABN. If you are GST registered, then you must charge GST on all of your business activities.

You should have a look at our guide on renting out part or all of your home for additional guidance.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jennifer2610,

I've answered your other question here, but I'd just like you address a few of your concerns here.

You should only apply for an ABN if you are operating a business or are otherwise entitled to hold an ABN. Just because you are being charged GST does not necessarily mean that you are required to register for an ABN, or even for GST for that matter.

In order to be able to charge GST, you would first need to be registered for GST as well as an ABN. If you are GST registered, then you must charge GST on all of your business activities.

You should have a look at our guide on renting out part or all of your home for additional guidance.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.