Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

LPG Gas Bottle Hire Rental Property

Highlighted

Views 716

Replies 3

Hello,

I have a rental property in which there is a gas hot water heater and gas cooktop. The gas is supplied via 2 x 45kg bottles which are rented through elgas. There are two seperate types of payments for the gas. 1. To rent the bottles annually.  2. The cost of the gas itself.

It is clear that the cost of the gas is paid by the tenants.

Which party is required to pay for the annual ongoing gas bottle rental charges?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@dompierrelapin 

There are no Taxation laws that can tell you who has to pay.

That is basically a private arrangement between Tenant and Landlord.

If the tenant refuses to pay, then claim it as a rental deduction.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

This is not really a tax related question and more of a rental law question

From a quick Google I think the rental of the bottle would relate to the supply of a service to the property and the landlord would pay for the rental of the bottles much like the landlord pays for the water connection costs but the tenant would pay the usage charges

Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@dompierrelapin 

There are no Taxation laws that can tell you who has to pay.

That is basically a private arrangement between Tenant and Landlord.

If the tenant refuses to pay, then claim it as a rental deduction.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Reply from NSW fair trading regarding my question

"Please be advised the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 (the Act) is not specific regarding who pays for the yearly service charge for gas bottles during a tenancy. 

Section 38 (1b) of the Act states a tenant must pay all charges for the supply of bottled gas to the tenant at the residential premises and Section 40 (1d) states a landlord must pay the costs and charges for the supply or hire of gas bottles for the supply of bottled gas at the commencement of the tenancy."