If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

Guide to claiming your departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) online - frequently asked questions

This article is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Started ‎21 September 2017 by
Modified ‎15 April 2020 by

The information, contained on this page, was relevant at the time it was posted. Please refer to our website for the most up-to-date information on the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment or alternatively post a question that relates to your own individual circumstances.


How can I claim my DASP?

If you visited Australia on a temporary visa, and you earned superannuation while working here, you may be eligible to claim your super back when you leave the country. The eligibility requirements for claiming a DASP will depend on whether your super is held by a super fund and/or by the ATO.

You’ll need to make sure your visa has ceased (for example, your visa is cancelled or has otherwise expired). You’ll also need to have left Australia before you can lodge your claim.

You can claim your DASP online if you have departed Australia using the online application whcih is free of charge.

You can also make a claim by sending your super fund a paper form. You’ll need to pay a fee to the Department of Home Affairs to obtain an Immigration certificate if you send a paper application where your super balance is $5000 or more.

When will I receive my DASP?

Your DASP should generally be paid within 28 days of sending us your application, as long as your super fund has all the required information. If you are claiming back more than $5000, your fund will ask for more information, so it’s a good idea to check with them before you leave Australia to prepare the documents they require.

If we’re looking after your super in a special holding account, we’ll send your payment to an Australian bank account. If you don't have an Australian bank account, we’ll send you a cheque. We can’t send your DASP to an overseas bank account by EFT. Contact us if you haven’t received your ATO-held super within 28 days of lodging your application (please allow more time if your payment is being made by cheque, as it may take longer for mail to be received overseas).

If your super is being held by your fund, you’ll need to contact them directly to follow up on the progress of your application.

How will my DASP be taxed?

The DASP tax rate will be determined by each super fund individually, as each super fund is making a separate payment.


Each super fund will assess your application and determine the tax rate to apply based on the information it holds in relation to your contributions. If you have held a WHM visa, your super fund will check whether the DASP includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa. If it does, the super fund will apply the DASP WHM tax rate. If it doesn’t, the super fund will apply the DASP ordinary tax rates.

Your DASP will be taxed as per the table below from 1 July 2017:

Payment component

DASP ordinary tax rate

(for non-WHM)

DASP WHM tax rate (for WHM with super contributions made under the WHM visa(s)

Tax-free component



Taxable component – taxed element



Taxable component – untaxed element




Because DASP is a ‘final’ tax, you don’t include the payment or the tax withheld on your tax return.

I received an email saying my application has been saved but not sent. Why?

There are two situations where you’ll receive an email about your application “not sent”:

  • where DIBP’s records indicate you still have an active visa (even if it isn’t a work visa).
  • Where you’ve selected to ‘save’ your application without sending it to us.

You can ask DIBP to cancel your visa by emailing, including:

  • a statement that you wish to cancel your visa
  • your full name and date of birth
  • your passport number when you visited Australia
  • the subclass of the visa you wish to have cancelled
  • your current residential address
  • the date that you departed Australia.

Find out more at

Once your visa has been cancelled, or when you are ready to submit your application, you’ll need to return to DASP online to submit your application. Go to the online application system and enter your details with your shared secret question to resume your saved application.

I keep getting an error message saying ‘DIMIA link unavailable’. How can I complete my claim?

This error message generally occurs where we’re experiencing issues with the online application system. Please try again in a day or two.

If this is an ongoing issue, you can choose to complete a paper application.

My former employer didn’t pay all the super I was entitled to. How can I claim this back on my DASP?

If you’re eligible for super guarantee contributions from your employer, your employer must pay 9.5% of your ordinary time earnings to your super fund every quarter (up to a maximum limit). If you believe your employer hasn’t paid the right amount of super to your fund, you should:

  1. Check that you’re entitled to super
  2. Work out how much super you should have been paid
  3. Talk to your employer – ask how much they’ve paid, how often they were making payments and that they have the correct fund details.
  4. Talk to your super fund and ask for your most recent member contribution statement
  5. If all else fails, lodge an ‘unpaid super enquiry’ with us. We’ll investigate your situation and work out how much super your employer should have paid.

There are a number of steps we need to take during your enquiry, and so it can take some time to finalise this process. We’ll keep you updated on the progress of your case and let you know once it’s finalised.

You can submit a claim for your DASP once your unpaid super enquiry has finalised.

I’ve completed my DASP, but now my superfund is asking for more information.

If your super balance is more $5000 or more, your fund will need certified copies of your proof of identification documentation as per the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing Act 2006. Most people find it much easier to get documents certified before they leave Australia.

Some funds may ask for additional information before processing your DASP. It’s a good idea to check with your super fund before you lodge your application so you can provide them with all the information they need to help prevent delays.

If you have any issues with the fund’s requirements, ask them to provide additional information or lodge a complaint with your fund. Where you can’t resolve your complaint with your super fund, you can choose to contact the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal for more information and support.

I’ve heard that if I claim a DASP I can’t return to Australia in the future. Is this true?

No, claiming your DASP when you leave Australia won’t prevent you from applying for a visa in the future.

If you have any questions about your current or future immigration status or visa, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Labels (3)