Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

COVID-19 support - JobKeeper payment

Community Manager Community Manager
‎30 March 2020 07:04 PM

JobKeeper newsfeed image.png

To claim payments for April, employers need to pay eligible employees by 8 May and enrol online and identify these employees by 31 May. See our JobKeeper guides for step-by-step instructions.

What is the JobKeeper payment?

The Australian Government has announced a JobKeeper payment to help keep more people in jobs by providing wage subsidies to businesses that are significantly affected by COVID-19.

The $1500 (before tax) fortnightly payment will be paid directly to eligible employees through their employers. Employees will receive notification from their employer if they will receive the payment. 

If you’re an employee, you don’t need to apply for JobKeeper. Your employer will let you know if they intend to claim the payment on your behalf.

If you’re an employer, business or sole trader the first thing you need to do is check that you and your employees are eligible and continue to pay them at least $1,500 per fortnight starting from 30 March.

Employees and employers can check their eligibility on the JobKeeper page on our website and find answers to common questions in our JobKeeper knowledge base article

52 Comments
Initiate

Some advice please from people in the know.

I am a small business owner that has had his business turnover slashed by over 50%. My business is registered as a company. I am registering for 'JobKeeper' to look after my employees, however is this payment something I'm entitled to as well as an owner. Do I as an owner need to be paying myself a regular wage, or is this something that is automatically paid to the owner as well regardless to assist them with other payments such as rent, cost of goods etc.

Initiate

How to we financially fund the wages untill we are remburst.

Why would some employees come to work to get $1500 a fortnight and to have other sstay at home reciving the same amount

There is no incentive  for staff to work if ther colleges are being paid the same to stay at home?

Is there an diffrence here in the payment?

I'm new

Hi

I would like to know how is turnover calculated for a charity who has government block funding, donations, bequests income and fundraising income, Fee for service and other income. Are all these income included to determine the 15% drop to turnover compared to a comparable period last year?

Also, if the charity is eligible in a given month or a quarter (based on how they lodge their BAS), will eligibility for next month or next quarter be determined again?

Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@zoltan @PeterM @melindan thank you all for your questions. The Jobkeeper payment is still being discussed in Parliament so there could be changes before it becomes law. While we can't provide certain answers at this stage, we recommend registering for updates through our website and we'll contact you when we have more information. 

I'm new

Hi, I am a long term part time employee who qualifies for this payment and who’s employers business is in retail and must of  suffered and qualifies for the JobKeeper payments to its employees. I asked my boss about this and him applying and registering for us employees. He said he is not interested in registering but will maybe look into it. This seems total stupid not to and a no brainer. Could there be underlying issues as to why he doesn’t want to register? Could it be he’s not registering till the law/bill is passed as he doesn’t want to pay us out of his own pocket till he can receive it from the ATO? Could it just be he doesn’t want to bear the payroll burden to pay us employees? Could it be he’s going to close up completely? If I’m not laid off I can’t apply for JobSeeker? We are just left in limbo getting nothing. Can we apply separately to the ATO somehow and get payments from them instead if the employer isn’t interested in registering but also isn’t letting us go?

Community Support

Hi @PeterA1

Thanks for reaching out to us. We understand how frustrating it must be.

As an employee, your employer will need to apply for the JobKeeper payment. Based on our current information, this isn't something that you can do yourself, unless of course you are also self employed and meet the requirements.

It is important to keep in mind that we are currently working through the JobKeeper payment legislation. We will be updating the information on our website soon. In the meantime, you can check out the JobKeeper payment page on the Treasury website.

As to why your employer has chosen not to register their interest, you will need to have a chat with them to find out why. As you suggested, perhaps they were simply waiting for the legislation to be passed.

If you would like to check out some of the other options that may be available to you, have a look at the COVID-19 response page on our website. It contains links to a variety of options, e.g. early release of super, that you may be eligible for.

We also have a COVID-19 support – jobkeeper payment Knowledge Base Article that you can check out. We will continue to update it as more information becomes available.

We hope you found this information helpful. Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Initiate

Hi ,

Accordingly to JobKeeper payment- FAQ that posted on website- https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/jobkeeper , It stated 

"WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBLE PAYMENT PERIODS FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR A JOBKEEPER
SUBSIDY?
Employers will need to satisfy payment requirements for their eligible employees in respect of each 14 day
period covered by the scheme. The first period starts on Monday 30 March 2020 and ends on
Sunday 12 April 2020."

Is it mean that we need to top up the payment 12/04/2020 in order to qualify the job keeper payment? Or we can pay as normal, and top up the balance at the end of the month (till we knew our business dropped more than 30%) ?

I am not sure what to do right now.

I am a business owner and my question is regarding eligibilty when we report BAS quarterly.
If I compare my 2019 March quarter to my March 2020 quarter, it will only show that it's down 14%, but if I compare each individual month, it paints a different picture - example;
Jan 2020 is up 5% from Jan 2019
Feb 2020 is up 6% from Feb 2019
Mar 2020 is down 50% from Feb 2019

Would that make my business ineligible for JobKeeper?

A question - if an eligible employer has identified 20 eligible employees, is the employer required to nominat all 20 to receive job keeper payments?

Can an eligible employer who has identified 20 eligible employees only nominate some of them to receive the job keeper payment or must all 20 be nominated.

If an employee agreed to reduced hours before the Act came into effect, is that agreement overridden by the Act

Hi all,

I'm a 67 year old sole trader who's been in Australia for over 50 years, but not an Australian citizen. I did try to obtain citizenship many years ago but couldn't supply answers to some questions as I was 12 when we came over from the UK and my parents passed away when I was quite young.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I just apply for Jobseeker, or maybe just retire? I really would like to keep my business afloat.

Thank you,

Clivew

Hi

I'm confused about the way to treat casuals. If they meet all the qualifications (citizenship, length of tenure in one job etc) how do we calculate their JobKeeper payments? Is it really $1500 a fortnight for each person (as opposed to FTE)?

Does this mean that each employee (casual) gets $1500 a fortnight even if they might only have worked 12 hours a week regularly?

Thanks, in anticipation

According to Xero (we process payroll via this accounting package), as at 14/4/20

• Xero’s JobKeeper feature is coming soon. In the meantime, set up a new pay item in Xero Payroll if you need to record JobKeeper payments.

• Once Xero’s new feature is available, we’ll explain how to edit the pay item so it can be reported to the ATO with STP. 

How are we meant to comply with the requirement as outlined in the ATO FAQ:

Employers will need to satisfy payment requirements for their eligible employees in respect of each 14 day
period covered by the scheme. The first period starts on Monday 30 March 2020 and ends on
Sunday 12 April 2020."

I am anxious that we don't suffer because of the speed of the roll-out of this program and our software supplier's inability to respond in a timely manner.

Apart from other considerations, passing legislation on the 9th April and expecting compliance a few days later seems far-fetched.

At the moment, it would appear that even if I could calculate exactly how much each employee should be paid under JobKeeper, there's no way for me to currently communicate/lodge that with the ATO.

Thanks in anticipation

I'd like to know if I'm eligible to apply for jobkeeper payment. I am currently holding a bridging visa A waiting to get approved for RSMS 187. I'm working full time since October 2017 for the same employer.

Community Support

Hi @zoltan

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Now that the legislation has passed, we have updated our website with information about business owners actively engaged in their business and their eligibility for the JobKeeper Payment. As you will see, actively engaged business owners will also qualify for the payment but there are some limitations. We will have more information on this soon so keep an eye on our website.

In the meantime, we recommend that you check out the all of the JobKeeper Payment section of our website as it contains a lot of useful information about things like eligibility and how to enrol and apply for the payment.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @PeterM and @GraceT

Thanks for your posts.

We now have some information on our website about paying your eligible employees the JobKeeper Payment. It explains how to pay your employees, when you will be required to make the payments and how much you will be required to pay.

You may also find the page about how much you will get from your employer helpful too. It explains it from the employee's perspective.

We also suggest that you take a look at the coronavirus and Australian workplace laws page on the Fair Work Ombudsman's website.

We hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @melindan

Thanks for your post.

We now have some information on our website about the JobKeeper Payment and eligible employers that we encourage you to look at. The second link provides more guidance about how to determine a fall in turnover as well as some information for not-for-profit organisations (including charities).

While there is a lot of information, you will see that there is still more to come. In turn, we recommend that you keep an eye on our website over the coming days and weeks.

Enrolments for the payment start on 20 April. You can find out more about how to enrol and apply for the JobKeeper payment on our website.

We hope you found this information helpful.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @JerryL

Thanks for your great question.

We now have some information about how to determine a fall in turnover on our website. To work out your fall in turnover, you can compare either:

• GST turnover for March 2020 with GST turnover for March 2019
  • projected GST turnover for April 2020 with GST turnover for April 2019
  • projected GST turnover for the quarter starting April 2020 with GST turnover for the quarter starting April 2019.

If you work out that you qualify for the JobKeeper payments for the first fortnight because your turnover has declined by the relevant amount, you remain eligible and do not need to keep testing turnover in the following months.

For more information about the JobKeeper Payment, refer to our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @Ron1

Thanks for your posts.

You can now find out how to enrol and apply for the JobKeeper payment on our website. It explains that you will need to estimate how many employees will be eligible for the first JobKeeper fortnight and the second JobKeeper fortnight when you enrol. You will then be required to identify each of your eligible employees in the application form.

Regardless of the hours that your employee has agreed to work, you must pay the minimum $1,500 before tax to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For more information about paying your eligible employees, refer to the JobKeeper Payment section of our website.

If you have any questions about workplace obligations, we suggest that you get in touch with the Fair Work Ombudsman. You can also check out the coronavirus and Australian workplace laws page on the Fair Work website.

We hope everything works out for you.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @Clivew

Thanks for reaching out to us during this stressful time.

Now that the legislation has been passed, we have updated the JobKeeper Payment section of our website. We don't have much information about sole traders yet but we should be updating our website soon. In turn, we recommend that you keep an eye on it over the coming days and weeks.

In the meantime, you can still check out the JobKeeper payment fact sheets on the Treasury website. The frequently asked questions fact sheet provides some details about sole trader eligibility including that you need to be an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) visa holder at 1 March 2020.

As a UK citizen living in Australia, you may want to get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs to find out what your immigration status is. While we can explain the eligibility requirements, we can't say whether you are a permanent visa holder.

If you're not eligible for the JobKeeper Payment, you may be eligible for one of the other COVID-19 measures which you can read about on our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @Alpop56

Thanks for your posts.

Now that the legislation has passed, we have updated the JobKeeper Payment section of our website where you can find out about paying your eligible employees, including how to pay them, when to pay them and how much to pay them.

You will not be eligible for the JobKeeper payment if you pay your nominated employee less than $1,500 per fortnight. This means that employees who would usually be paid less (e.g. a casual employee working 12 hours a week) must be paid $1,500 per fortnight.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by the end of April. This means that you can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight before the end of April, or a combined payment of at least $3,000 before the end of April. This is to give employers time to make the necessary adjustments.

We wish you all the best with it.

Thanks, ChrisR

Thank you @ChrisATO 

I'll do what you recommend.

Clivew

Community Support

Hi @kay88

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

You will be an eligible employee if you meet all the eligibility requirements. Of course, that assumes that your employer meets their requirements too. For more information about eligible employers and eligible employees, have a look at our website.

One of the eligible employee requirements is that you were an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) as at 1 March 2020. The Services Australia website states that you’re an Australian resident if you live in Australia and are either:

• an Australian citizen
  • a permanent residence visa holder, or
  • a protected Special Category visa (SCV) holder.

If you're not sure about what your current bridging visa is (temporary, permanent or otherwise), we suggest that you get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs.

If it turns out that you're not eligible due to your visa, you may be able to take advantage of one of the other COVID-19 measures, e.g. early release of super. Refer to our website for more information.

Thanks, ChrisR

Thank you @ChrisATO ,

I have an employee who is permanently employed but doesn't wish to return to work as they are fearful of contracting the virus and taking it home to their family. They have no medical condition and are not ill. They are unable to access 'sick leave'.

Does this person qualify for JobKeeper if they have no medically approved reason to stay away from the workplace?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi ATO,

Our company April fortnightly pay periods are as follow :

20/03 - 02/04 (pays day on 02/04)

03/04 - 16/04 (pays day on 16/04)

17/04 - 30/04 (pays day on 30/04)

Which two of our April fortnightly pay periods are in line with the ATO JobKeeper Payment fortnightly periods of 30/03 - 12/04 & 13/04 - 26/04 ?

I'm new

My employer has stood me down without pay (under the Fair Work clause allowing so, indicating there is no work for me to do). Initially I was hopeful about JobKeeper. I am the breadwinner for my family and $3000 a month ($1500 per fortnight) is still just enough to keep the bills paid for us. 

Then I read that JobKeeper is getting taxed like regular income. JobKeeper is getting paid to my employer by the ATO. Only for the ATO to take tax off it, to the point where I would be off exactly the same on JobSeeker. I fail to see how this is an incentive for my employer to keep me. They were always going to keep me on board, just unpaid, and since JobKeeper is almost the same as JobSeeker after tax, why wouldn't I go out and look for other work? I understand JobKeeper helps still-running but suffering businesses keep people on. I don't see how it helps employees at businesses who were keen to claim "no work to do, so unpaid" to minimize their costs while we have to sit and wait on too little income. 

I'm new

Hi, I'm a sole trader and only registered for GST in December 2019. I have just submitted my first BAS (past the date of 13 March that was stated) and also I have just got an appointment with my accountant to do my tax for 2018-2019 which isnt due until 31 May 2020. According to the criteria I am outside the dates, can I apply for an exemption considering my tax is not yet due? Also I didn't have gst last year but my turnover is definitley down by 30% for April and into the forseeable future. Will I still be eligible ? 

Thank you

To All who are subject to JobKeeper Payments

The bottom line is   Your boss has to register and then pay you $750 Per Week fortnightly through the month of April then at the end of April he is reimbersed the money he has paid out  and this repeats over the next 5 months until he gets his money back.

Ask yourself how many bosses have enough money in the buisiness to pay out the amount required to be qualified for JobKeeper. Just imagin a company with 200 employees the amount to be paid out of the company would be $600000 how many could carry that for 6 months..If you read through the ATO website re this, it clearly states what the bosses have to do. From were I sit its as though the gov has promised all this to look good but have made it difficult if not impossible for the average people to get it.

I'll bet they don't win the next election when everyone realises whats actually happening

Initiate

That is eactley right i have employees wondering why i am not doing in from now  I have explained i would need 550,000 in Cash to bank roll it untill they remburst me , and that is if it is done in time as well.

I dont know why the Goverment does not  deposit the money directley to the Employers account  In stead of ussing us Like a bank

NZ had the Right idea depositing it in the Employoors account First to pay from  not to in arias  

Initiate

Jobkeeper reimbursement 

I have a casual employee she works an average of 4 hours a week aprox 

some weeks not at all other weeks 5 or 6 hours 

my business is very small she has worked for me for 15 months 

I would need to redraw from my mortgage to pay the jobkeeper payment 

my turnover in March was almost the same but so far this month (April I'm down over 50%) 

I am able to produce profit and loss basic reports to reflect this there's also my appointment book aswell 

I'm just so worried as there only asking for a deceleration I'd rather be able to send all my evidence in I can't afford to pay it if I'm not reimbursed 

mite also is so far above her normal earnings but it appears to be a flat rate? 

Initiate

Fortnight application 

when I went online to register it also looks like it's asking downturn for fortnightly periods 

are we able to just reapply each fourtnight that we are effected? 
that would suit me as I can't see into the future 🤷‍♀️
and don't want to make a mistake 

Community Support

Hi @Alpop56

Thanks for your reply.

If your business meets the eligible employer requirements and your employee meets the eligible employee requirements as outlined on our website, your business can claim the JobKeeper Payment. If you choose to enrol for the JobKeeper payment, you will need to nominate all eligible employees.

Whether this employee can refuse to come to work is a question best directed at the Fair Work Ombudsman. In turn, we recommend that you have a look at the JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act page on the Fair Work website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

Initiate

Hello,

I need some advice on an employee and weather she is entitled to JobKeeper.

She is a casual but has been working with us since 01 July 2018.  She did take a period of time pre-negotiated off with us from the 19th  March 2019 - 17th of September 19 to focus on her studies before returning to her regular role. She has advised me that during that period she did take paid employment with someone else doing casual work a couple of shifts a week. Upon returning on the 17th of September 2019, she has returned to her previous regular weekly shifts until the present date.

As she has taken a period of time away and has not broken contract with us, is she still eligible?

Initiate

If we apply Jobkeeper payment for eligible business participant who do not receive wages or salary instead receiving dividends as a shareholder or distribution as a trust beneficiary.

To qualify for the payments, we also need to make the 2 fortnight (30/3-12/4/20 & 13/4 -26/4/2020) payments by 30 Apr 2020.

What is the correct way to pay the shareholder or trust beneficay as a nominatee of jobkeeper payment?

Initiate

I have recieved the JobKeeper enrolment form in the buisness portal, however whilst I have been running the same business for over 2 years, it changed from a partnership to a soletrader less than 12 months ago.  I also have a casual regular ongoing employee of 2 years.  In both cases I believe I can substantiate any alternate test as set by ATO, however the current enrolment form requires me to declare that I had an assesseable income in the 2018/2019 tax year.  

My question is - Do I complete the current enrolment form & declare yes to all the eligbility questions as I beleive I will meet the alternate test at a later date?  Or will there be a different enrolment form sent out to sole traders less than 12 months once the alternate test is available?  

I'm new

Our payroll fortnights are not aligned with the JobKeeper fortnights. 

23/03/20 - 05/04/20 = $750 (JobKeeper included in this f/n)

06/04/20 - 19/04/20 = $1500 (JobKeeper included in this f/n)

20/04/20 - 03/05/20 = $1500 (JobKeeper included in this f/n - $750 for April)

We will have physically paid $2250 by 30/04/20, however, the $750 for the week 20/02/20 - 26/02/20 will physically be paid in May although it has accrued to the employee in April.

We are unable to change our payroll fortnight - is this going to be a problem that physically $3,000 has not be paid by 30/04/20.

Initiate

I think I am a bit confused with these JobKeeper payments. As I understand it the federal government will be making payments (to me the employer) sometime in the first week May, for backdating to the 31st or March. Can I wait until this government payment hits my business account, before I distribute this to my eligible employees (that I have enrolled for the payment)…. Or did I need to be paying these eligible employees $1500 per fortnight since 31 March out of my own business account and then when the JobKeeper payment comes to me I simply keep it, making our transaction even. 

I find this second option potentially alarming, especially if your business has been closed due to Covid 19 for the month of April with no revenue coming in and potentiallly an outlay of $60,000 (for 20 eligible staff members) is requiered before any JobKeeper funding hits your account. Is this correct? If so how can a business do this if they are already without any revenue streams.

Secondly, if it is the second option, as I the individual, am claiming the JobKeeper payment under ‘director’ status, should I have been paying myself from our business account $1500 per fortnight since 31 March as well.

And finally, my wife who has her own seperate busines (sole trader / no employees) and claiming JobKeeper payment through her sole trader business, did she need to be paying herself from her business account $1500 per fortnight since 31 March. 

Thank you for your help.

I am a sole trader that is not registered for GST

I submited my tax for 18-19 one month after the seeminly random jobkeeper threshhold date of the 12th of march.

Below is from the ATO website. And I am wondering if that makes me ineligible for the jobkeeper payments. It is quite ambigious stating a threshold date, then directly contradicting that saying there is discretion to allow further time. Will that discretion apply to those who had no obligation to submit their 18/19 tax before 12th of March? "Available soon" is nice, can I tell my landlord my rent is "available soon"

"it satisfied certain conditions as at 12 March 2020, being  

• it had an ABN on 12 March 2020, and
  • it had lodged, on or before 12 March 2020, at least one of  
    • a 2018–19 income tax return showing that it had an amount included in its assessable income in relation to it carrying on a business, or
    • an activity statement or GST return for any tax period that started after 1 July 2018 and ended before 12 March 2020 showing that it made a taxable, GST-free or input-taxed sale.

• Note: A discretion to give further time after 12 March 2020 may apply in limited circumstances. More information will be available soon."

Alot of people in the media industry are in the same boat and left feeling uncertain,

Looking forward to your response,

Thankyou

Observer

I am still very confused about eligibilty for two of my staff across two seperate businesses:

Business A:

Have a casual employee who commenced 17 March 2019. Does she become eligible for the second fortnight? i.e. once a casual has reached 12 months of consistent hours, are they eligible for payments?

Business B:

Commenced trade 1 June 2019. Employee commenced 8 May 2019. There has been mention of exemptions for new businesses for eligibility criteria, but what about the employees?

The literature mentions the tax commissioner being able to make exemptions for these sorts of cases, but makes no mention anywhere of where to call, email etc. Could you please provide those details?
Thank you.

I have started working in a company in June 2014 as casual through a recruitment agency.  From Nov 2019 I joined the company itself but still casual.

In short I was working in the company for 5 years period through recruitment agency and 4 months through the actual company (casual).

Note: my working hours has always been 38 hours and I have been doing it on a regular and systematic basis.

I have stood down from work 22nd of march.

So, I just wanna know whether I m eligible for Job keeper or not?

Hi there,  I currently work 2 jobs.  One is permanent part time and I am still working in this job during COVID 19 and the other I am a long term casual employee who has not worked since MArch and not likely to until after October.  Ia m wonderin if I am eligible for the job keeper payment?

Initiate

Our business was  forced to close.We have applied for jobkeeper  does the ATO acknowledge that we have been accepted ? One employee is eligible .Why would we pay jobkeeper to an employee in advance when we have been impacted financially and cannot open ?Will the atoacknowledge our eligibility ? We could be committed to paying out $1500 fortnightly unnecessarily 

Community Support

Hi @zoltan

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We have some more information on our website about who is considered a long-term casual employee that you can check out. We suggest that you have a look at the examples.

While we can't give you a definitive answer via this forum, the fact that your casual employee wasn't working for you for an extended period during the 12 months prior to 1 March would suggest that they weren't employed by you on a regular and systematic basis.

The JobKeeper Payment is a reimbursement scheme. You must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For the first two fortnights, the payments must be made by the end of April. You will then be reimbursed in early May.

For more information about paying your eligible employees, have a look at our website.

If your business doesn't have enough funds to pay your eligible employees, we suggest that you get in touch with your financial institution to find out what options you have. For example, they may be able to arrange a short term loan or overdraft facility to enable you to make your $1,500 fortnightly payments.

This fortnightly payment requirement is only for eligible employees. It doesn't apply to eligible business participants. This means that your business won't need to pay you and your wife's business won't need to pay her $1,500 per fortnight.

Our website provides more information about the JobKeeper Payment for sole traders and other entities and how it works for eligible business participants.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @WSIN

Thanks for joining the conversation.

The $1,500 fortnightly payment requirement is only applicable to eligible employees. You don't have to do this for eligible business participants. For more information, refer to the sole traders and other entities page on our website. You can also check out our JobKeeper guides.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @Krissie

The alternative test page on our website has now been updated so we suggest that you check it out. Keep an eye on our forum and website for updated information on how to complete the enrolment form.

We also have a COVID-19 support – JobKeeper payment Knowledge Base Article that we will continue to update as new information come to hand.

All the best.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @CAP19

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Good question. For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by the end of April. What this means is that you will need to make some adjustments to your payroll to ensure that you have made the required payments on time.

The reason why this is important is because you must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For more information about paying your eligible employees, refer to our website.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @cucumberwater

Thanks for reaching out to us during this stressful time.

We now have some more information on our website about the lodgment requirement for eligible business entities.

We have the discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances, including if you:

• did not have a requirement to lodge your 2018-2019 return until after 12 March 2020
  • have deferred your lodgment under an extension of lodgment date we initiated.

Examples include:

• You are included in a registered agent’s lodgment program whereby your lodgment due date is after 12 March 2020.
  • You have an automatic ATO lodgment deferral in place as you were affected by the Australian bushfires in late 2019, and you are not registered or required to be registered for GST, so will not have lodged a BAS before 12 March 2020.

Now that we have provided this information, we should have some more guidance on how to complete the enrolment form on our forum and website soon.

We hope you found this information helpful and that everything works out.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @suzitzki

Thanks for joining the conversation. We know how confusing some of the rules are.

Business A:

The casual employee won't be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment because they don't meet the long-term casual employee 12 month rule. To meet this rule, they must have been a long-term casual employee for at least 12 months as at 1 March 2020.

The fact that they have now been with Business A for more than 12 months doesn't matter because the test is based on their length of service as at 1 March 2020. They won't be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment with Business A for the first fortnight or any fortnight during the six month scheme.

You can find out more about the eligible employee requirements by having a look at our website.

Business B:

Assuming they are a casual employee, they won't be eligible in this scenario either as they won't meet the 1 March 2020 long-term casual employee 12 month rule. If they are a permanent part-time or full-time employee, employed as at 1 March 2020 and meet the other eligible employee requirements, Business B can claim the JobKeeper Payment for them.

Of course, Business B would need to meet the eligible employer requirements to be able to claim the payment, which is where the exemption that you were referring to applies. Due to when the business started, it would need to use the alternative test to work out whether the turnover reduction requirement has been met. Our website now has information on this test.

The discretion that the Commissioner has been given is in respect of how to work out turnover reduction. The employees are still required to meet the same eligible employee requirements. In saying that, where there has been a business ownership change, the long-term casual employee 12 month rule can still potentially be met.

Have a look at our website for more information about who is considered a long-term casual employee. One of the examples explains how a casual employee can still be eligible when a business changes hands.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Support

Hi @Chetan0001

It will depend on what the arrangement was from June 2014 to November 2019 as to whether you will meet the eligible employee requirements. If you were employed by the recruitment agency, it would appear that you don't meet the long-term casual 12 month rule. If you were employed by the company directly, then you do.

Depending on your circumstances, we suggest that you have a chat with your employer.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, ChrisR