ATO Community

Can’t log into myGov to access ATO online services?

Community Moderator Community Moderator
‎30 October 2020 01:59 PM

Newsfeed-myGov-15-162.png

There are a few reasons why you may have trouble logging into your myGov account to access our online services:

• You changed phone numbers
  • You moved overseas and no longer have access to your Australian mobile number
  • You have deleted the myGov Code Generator app

If this happens, you will need to create a new myGov account using a different email address.

If you use the same email address as your previous myGov account, you will need to contact the myGov helpdesk to have your email address released.

Once you have your new myGov account, you will need to link your myGov account to the ATO. The quickest way to do this is by answering a couple of questions online.

If this information hasn’t answered your question, ask the Community

4 Comments

I have got basic user id - it took 36 hours and over 12 hours in multiple phone calls to the help desk to get that. Up to now it has functioned for our business.  Now I am being told I can't do IAS or BAS with my current status. I have to upgrade. So, I put in my citizenship details - in my former name.  And my marriage certificate to show change of name. My Marriage certficate is totally ignored - 32 times so far - and I can not get my verfication so I can not do my job.  I am also remembering the tears, nightmares and other horrible experiences from getting an id in the first place. I am traumatised by this whole experience. How in heaven's name does this qualify as a government app we have to have? 

And how in heaven's name do I get my id upraded? I have used passport and driver's licence already and can not re-use to upgrade. How else can I prove my name change by marriage?  

Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sudhu

We can hear your frustration.

It sounds like you're talking about myGovID. To upgrade it to a Standard identity strength, you simply need to verify two Australian identity documents. You've mentioned being able to use your driver's licence and passport. That should be enough.

We suggest that you check out the help page on the myGovID website as it contains some helpful information. You also know about the support line. Another option is to reinstall the myGovID app on your smart device and set up your myGovID again.

Let us know how you go.

For more information, go to the myGovID website.

You didn't read my post well, Chris. And this is where the frustrating starts. 

In my post I explained the issues with trying to get my id verified. 

1. I've already used MDL and passport to get basic user status so I can't re- use to get standard status

2. I used citizenship certificate which is in my former name

3. I tried to use my marriage certificate as the name change document but it is completely ignored, no acknowledgement

4. 4 phone calls so far with 4 different responses. None have worked. 

The website is no help at all.  

I've reinstalled the app over 18 times in the past 5 days. 

I've rung the support line 4 times...4 different responses. None have helped. None have even been similar. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sudhu,

Sorry to read about your experience and that we haven't been much help in this situation so far. It sounds like you've been working frantically to get this sorted, and tried everything you can think of. 

I'm going to liaise with our tech team to get further advice on how we might be able assist you in getting to the correct identity strength so you can do your IAS/BAS. I will chat to you soon.