Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Our response to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)

Community Manager Community Manager
‎17 March 2020 04:21 PM

DESN-3080_Coronavirus_myATO_banner997x308.png

To help the community through COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), the ATO is offering support in a number of ways to eligible people and businesses impacted by COVID-19.

Businesses and employers (including sole traders)

Individuals and employees

Additional support

Businesses and employers (including sole traders)

JobKeeper Payment for businesses

The JobKeeper Payment helps eligible employers so they can continue to pay their eligible employees and help them restart quickly when the crisis is over. Eligible employers will be able to claim payments of $1500 per fortnight per eligible employee. To find out if you’re eligible and to apply visit JobKeeper payment.

Providing cash flow boosts for employers

From 28 April 2020, eligible businesses will automatically receive two tax-free payments when you lodge your activity statement. To find out if you’re eligible, visit Cash boost for businesses and employers.

Increasing the instant asset write-off

From 12 March until 30 June 2020, the instant asset write-off threshold is increased to $150,000 and businesses with an aggregated turnover of less than $500 million are now eligible. To check your eligibility, visit Instant asset write-off for eligible businesses.

Accelerated depreciation

If your business has an aggregated turnover of less than $500 million for 2019-20 and 2020-21, you can deduct the cost of depreciating assets at an accelerated rate. To find out more, visit Backing business investment – accelerated depreciation.

Individuals and employees

JobKeeper Payment for employees

If you and your employer both meet the eligibility criteria, your employer will pay you a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight before tax starting from 30 March 2020. You don’t need to do anything to apply, your employer will let you know if they are claiming the payment for you. To find out if you meet the eligibility criteria visit JobKeeper payment.

$550 and $750 centrelink support payments

All payments for individuals including the $550 Coronavirus Supplement and $750 Economic Support Payments are administered by Services Australia

Early access to super

Eligible individuals affected by COVID-19 may be able to access some of their super early through myGov. To find out more visit COVID-19 early release of super.

Reduced minimum drawdown rates

If you’re a retiree, the government has reduced minimum annual pensions and annuities by 50% in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 financial years. To find out more, visit Minimum annual payments for super income streams.

Additional support

We’re also here to support your wellbeing. If you're feeling overwhelmed or getting behind with your tax and super obligations, we’ll work with you to take the pressure off through:

If you have a question about COVID-19 that we haven’t covered here, ask ATO Community

For more information on the Australian Government's economic response to COVID-19 visit treasury.gov.au/coronavirus

5 Comments
I'm new

if I worked two casual jobs and one shuts down can i access my super in this corona Virus $10,000 package

i get less than $1,400 with my casual job im left with now.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BrookeM65 the stimulus package is being discussed in Parliament and could undergo changes before it becomes law. As soon as it passes we'll update our website. For more information, including the likely eligibility criteria, see Treasury’s information on the economic response.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@BrookeM65 to apply for early release of your super under the COVID-19 stimulus package, you must satisfy any one or more of the following requirements:

• you're unemployed
  • you're eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance, parenting payment, special benefit or farm household allowance
  • From 1 January 2020:
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you are a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more.

Hope this helps. You can read more at Early access to your super

Hello,
I would like some clarification on conflicting information from the ATO me and my employer have received over the phone. The business I work for is seasonal, and there are a few staff who the employer has nominated as eligible, but many who are sitting in a grey area and need more information to proceed. Most casuals work (apart from a few occasional shifts enough for 2or 3 casual staff over winter) is from Oct through to May each year (7-9months). The business has many long term casuals who regularly work each year for 7-9 months when the business is busy, and may not be able to work for the remainder 3-5 months due to the end of the season. Although I would consider working 7-9 months of each year for multiple years as regularly and systematic to the nature of this business, my employer has been informed differently. They have been told by the ATO that any long term casual who has had a break of work for 2-3 months cannot be considered as working regularly and systematically for the past 12 months, even though in this 3-5 month break the casuals are still kept on the books with a reasonable expectation of ongoing work when the season re-commences. My employer is trying their best to make sure every eligible employee is nominated, however this conflicting information is making it difficult and they don’t want employees to fall into financial hardship if they are nominated and later declined by the ATO.
My question therefore is: Is a casual employee who primarily works for a seasonal business for 7-9 months, and has worked multiple seasons in a row (such as myself who has worked the last 7 years) still considered to be a long term casual eligible for jobkeeper, even with a yearly lul in shift availability for 3-5 months?

Master

@gemma did you end up finding an answer?