Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Accomadation and apartment lease costs for a Casual Salary earner living in another state

Views 123

Replies 1

I have a skill set in the medical game. My family and I reside in Sydney. The agency I contract with has a range of clients in Melbourne and regional Victoria. I spend a lot of time in Victoria. The contract is changing and the agency will no longer pay for the accomadation and transport. Am I able to claim the rent on an apartment and the daily living expenses and transport expenses between NSW and Victoria, if the majority of my income is earned in Victoria directly, despite me actually living in Sydney and travelling back and forth to do work. The agency is a single agency but the clients are spread across Victoria and I will not have any idea where I may need to travel to on a daily basis. The actual funding for each client is different and the clients pay the agency who then pays me from those funds at various rates. I currently pay top marginal tax and income is >200K. I am loookin for an accountancy firm who can assist me through the process.

I expect the total travel and food and rent option is approximately 40K. Thanks for any suggestions Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Peterthenurse

These costs are not deductible expenses for you. Your travel and accommodations in Victoria are to put you in a position to start work, not expenses incurred during your work.

Take a look at example 6 for accommodation expenses. You incur these extra costs by your choice to live in Sydney but work in Victoria. These are therefore not work-related expenses, and therefore not deductible.

You can read about accommodation expenses on our website.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Peterthenurse

These costs are not deductible expenses for you. Your travel and accommodations in Victoria are to put you in a position to start work, not expenses incurred during your work.

Take a look at example 6 for accommodation expenses. You incur these extra costs by your choice to live in Sydney but work in Victoria. These are therefore not work-related expenses, and therefore not deductible.

You can read about accommodation expenses on our website.