ATO Community

Allowable deductions against the sale of RSU (Restricted Stock Units) within 30 days of vesting

Views 425

Replies 2

I received RSU's (Restricted Stock Units) that vested on the 5th May 2020. I opted to sell these shares and I received the proceeds of the sale 5 days later in my bank account.

My ESS Statement indicates it’s under the deferred scheme and reported at F for use under question 12.
My first question is if I could ask for an adjusted statement from my employer? This based on the statement using the closing price on the date of vesting and not my transaction price a few days later. Also the share sale is in foreign currency and a different FX rate was used 5 days later than that calculated in determining the statement declared amount. (does this get the benefit of the 30 day rule for a deferred tax point?)

My second question is to ask if the costs of commission and fees associated with the sale are deductable before the amount is declared at F, or if they could be separately claimed as a deduction elsewhere in my return?

Finally could I simply declare at F the amounts actually received in my Australian bank account for these share sales (keeping all evidence for the next 5 years)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @RM3 

We have been advised that we will need more information to answer your questions. Please contact our Early engagement team who will be able to assist you with this one.

2 REPLIES 2

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RM3

We are looking into this one for you. Will let you know as soon as we have a response to your inquiry. 

Hope you and your family are keeping safe and well during these trying times. 

Regards,

Jodie2.  

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @RM3 

We have been advised that we will need more information to answer your questions. Please contact our Early engagement team who will be able to assist you with this one.