ATO Community

Amending return more than two years ago

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 148

Replies 1

Hi,

A number of months ago, Centrelink conducted an audit of my income and youth allowance payments from a few years ago. This audit resulted in debts owed to Centrelink for FY15, FY16 and FY17.

I called the ATO two or three times after this, with each time someone assuring me that I could amend these years despite being over the two year amendment period, but only if I lodged the paper amendment forms. So I did this, and the FY17 amendment was made and lowered my income resulting in a return. The other two years were not amended though for being longer than two years, despite the information I was provided over the phone at least two times by different employees.

How do I make the adjustment as I've now overpaid tax for those previous years by more than $1500. Can I just put it through as a tax loss, even though it doesn't quite fit the definition?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Nathan6 

You can't request an amendment after the time limit has expired. What you have to do is lodge an objection to your assessment for the relevant year and ask for an extension of time for the objection to be considered (because if you're out of time to amend you're also out of time to object). There's a section on the objection form to request an extension of time and the presumption is you'll receive an extension of time unless there are exceptional circumstances that make granting the extension clearly inappropriate. As part of the objection you'll then have to explain what it is you want amended and why.

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Nathan6 

You can't request an amendment after the time limit has expired. What you have to do is lodge an objection to your assessment for the relevant year and ask for an extension of time for the objection to be considered (because if you're out of time to amend you're also out of time to object). There's a section on the objection form to request an extension of time and the presumption is you'll receive an extension of time unless there are exceptional circumstances that make granting the extension clearly inappropriate. As part of the objection you'll then have to explain what it is you want amended and why.

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Top Solution Authors