Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Amendment Payment Summary for Centrelink debt - What do I do now?

Initiate

Views 936

Replies 5

I was overpaid by Centrelink because I accidentally claimed allowance when I wasn't studying in 2018. I paid off the debt last year and received an amendment payment summary. Because it's tax time now, I might need to amend my previous tax return but not sure where to go about this. Do I need to speak to my accountant? Will accountants be able to amend previous tax returns or do I need to speak to ATO? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @christinewh

Thanks for posting!

If you use an accountant for your tax affairs we would suggest you speak with them, as they are able to submitted tax return amendments.

Regardless of how you lodged your original tax return you can request an online amendment. All you need is a myGov account linked to the ATO to access our online services. From there you simply access your lodged tax return and over-write the amount with the correct amount.When you have corrected the information, select the Calculate button and we'll work out your new refund amount or how much you owe.

You can also request an amendment in writing if you cannot request an online amendment. This can be done by using the Request for amendment of income tax return for individuals form. Once you have completed the form, print it off and fax or post it to us with appropriate attachments. This will take the longest as it takes up to 50 days to process requests made in writing,

All the best!

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @christinewh

Thanks for posting!

If you use an accountant for your tax affairs we would suggest you speak with them, as they are able to submitted tax return amendments.

Regardless of how you lodged your original tax return you can request an online amendment. All you need is a myGov account linked to the ATO to access our online services. From there you simply access your lodged tax return and over-write the amount with the correct amount.When you have corrected the information, select the Calculate button and we'll work out your new refund amount or how much you owe.

You can also request an amendment in writing if you cannot request an online amendment. This can be done by using the Request for amendment of income tax return for individuals form. Once you have completed the form, print it off and fax or post it to us with appropriate attachments. This will take the longest as it takes up to 50 days to process requests made in writing,

All the best!

Initiate

Replies 3

Hi thanks for your response I just re-read my amendment payment summary and noticed that it is from the 2017/2018 financial year. I received the payment summary last November (2019) and I never received a notice of assessment in 2017 or 2018 for some reason. Am I still allowed to amend this one or is it out of the two-year timeframe? I am not sure of how to go about this now that I have re-read it and thinking that it might be out of the timeframe for amendment. I kept looking at the Date of Issue on the Amendment Payment Summary and thinking that I have two years from receiving it (November 2019) to amend the amounts listed on it and its the only proof I have. Now I'm confused as to which dates I should be looking at. Thanks.

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @christinwh

It applies from the date on the Notice of Assessment (NOA) 2years or 4 years even in some circumstances. Not the end of the world though if you are outside the amendment time frame you can apply as an objection requesting more time, then once granted you amend. See Time limits on income tax amendments for more details.

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi thanks for your response. What circumstances does the 4 year timeframe apply to? I'm just an individual.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @chrstinewh,

For individuals, the time limit ​is two years from the day of the notice of assessment is given by the Commissioner. ​

However, amendments are never out of time if you:

• want to remove assessable income previously declared, and

• have repaid the assessable income.

Which means for you, you can amend them even if they are out of the normal time limit! Smiley Happy