Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Are my relevant uni degree expenses tax deductible as 'Work-related self-education expenses'

I'm new

Views 959

Replies 3

Hi,

While working as a pharmacy assistant, I'm also studying a Bachelor of Pharmacy at uni, and I was wondering if this job is related enough to my studies to be able to count my uni expenses (books etc) as work-related tax deductions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @chantellem

There is not enough connection between a pharmacist and an assistant to be able to claim your expenses as self-education.

Self-education expenses only apply when the course has sufficient connection to your current work activities as an employee. 

There are examples on our website that will explain this further.

Hope this helps

3 REPLIES 3

Champion

Replies 0

Self-education expenses can be great tax deductions for uni students. The ATO won't allow tax deductions if the subject of your education is not directly linked to your current employment. ... You can show that your course, qualification or degree can lead to an increase in income within your current employment.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @chantellem

There is not enough connection between a pharmacist and an assistant to be able to claim your expenses as self-education.

Self-education expenses only apply when the course has sufficient connection to your current work activities as an employee. 

There are examples on our website that will explain this further.

Hope this helps

Devotee

Replies 0

I don’t entirely know what a pharmacy assistant does, however being an actual pharmacist is a different job so I wouldn’t consider you eligible to claim self education expenses. For example, a nurse could not claim self education to become a doctor. Both in the medical field but different jobs.