ATO Community

Australian living overseas working for an Australian company

Views 537

Replies 3

What is the Tax residency status for an Australian citizen who is living overseas yet employed by an Australian company? Does this change if they become a contractor? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @BrianG

Generally if you are an Australian resident and go overseas temporarily and don't set up a permanent home in another Country you may be considered an Australian resident for taxation purposes. The easiest way to determine this is to use our self assessed are you a resident tool. This will ask you a series of questions and provide you with a residency determination.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @BrianG

Generally if you are an Australian resident and go overseas temporarily and don't set up a permanent home in another Country you may be considered an Australian resident for taxation purposes. The easiest way to determine this is to use our self assessed are you a resident tool. This will ask you a series of questions and provide you with a residency determination.

Replies 0

Hi @LisaATO Thanks for the quick reply. Using the resident tool you suggested, it asks if the person is an Australian resident returning to Australia. Would this include intention to return in the future or is it asking if the person is currently returning/recently returned? It would seem that the questions are somewhat oriented towards someone who is arriving in Australia. Thanks again

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BrianG,

Apologies for the late reply, hopefully I can help!

Someone is considered an Australian resident for tax purposes if they:

• have always lived in Australia or have come to Australia and live here permanently.
  • go overseas temporarily and they do not set up a permanent home in another country (this does not have a time limit)

I’ve done a few different selection ways myself through the Are you a resident tool and all outcomes came back as you are a resident for tax purposes however please have another go yourself. You’ll notice there is a 'Help?' button off to the right-hand side that explains those questions in more detail.

Have a read through the following pages as well just for reference as you may need in the future:

I hope this helps Smiley Happy