Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes?

Views 295

Replies 1

I am an Australian citizen who was living and working abroad for 2 years and 9 months and have recently returned to Australia. When I moved abroad I planned to return to Australia at some point in the future but no date was set. I have owned a rental property in Australia since before moving abroad and was receiving rental income whilst living abroad. I have never lived in the property. 

I was living and working abroad for all of 18/19 and 19/20 financial years - am I considered an Australian or foreign resident for tax purporses for any income earned abroad during these financial years? 

Additional info: I moved abroad with my de-facto partner. I was not employed in Australia and did not earn any employment income in Australia for the financial years mentioned. I held temporary working visas in two countries when living abroad and permenant addresses in both countries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ekalb22

You can use our are you a resident? tool to determine if your are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes.

All the best!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ekalb22

You can use our are you a resident? tool to determine if your are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes.

All the best!