Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes?

Views 341

Replies 1

I am an Australian citizen who was living and working abroad for 2 years and 9 months and have recently returned to Australia. When I moved abroad I planned to return to Australia at some point in the future but no date was set. I have owned a rental property in Australia since before moving abroad and was receiving rental income whilst living abroad. I have never lived in the property. 

I was living and working abroad for all of 18/19 and 19/20 financial years - am I considered an Australian or foreign resident for tax purporses for any income earned abroad during these financial years? 

Additional info: I moved abroad with my de-facto partner. I was not employed in Australia and did not earn any employment income in Australia for the financial years mentioned. I held temporary working visas in two countries when living abroad and permenant addresses in both countries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ekalb22

You can use our are you a resident? tool to determine if your are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes.

All the best!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ekalb22

You can use our are you a resident? tool to determine if your are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes.

All the best!