ATO Community

Bag used for work and personal items but only for work time

Views 387

Replies 1

I have a large bag that I use to carry my work laptop. It is also used to carry my personal items ie medicine, wallet, umbrella. I only ever use it when working and not for my personal time. I bought it large because the laptop is a wide and I find big 15 inch backpacks uncomfortable. Can I claim 100% for tax deduction as work related expense? The examples they provided were where the bag was also used for personal items AND in personal time. I use for both work and personal items but only use for going to and from work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tamtam

From the information you have provided you are using the bag mainly for work purposes as you are not using it outside of work. Where you use the bag for work purposes and it costs less than $300, you can claim the deduction immediately. Where the bag costs more than $300, you will generally work out any deduction using its effective life.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tamtam

From the information you have provided you are using the bag mainly for work purposes as you are not using it outside of work. Where you use the bag for work purposes and it costs less than $300, you can claim the deduction immediately. Where the bag costs more than $300, you will generally work out any deduction using its effective life.

Hope this helps!