ATO Community

Re: Can I claim mileage for travelling to a depot to do vehicle inspections

I'm new

Views 319

Replies 1

Hello

I am employed on a casual ad hoc basis by a shipping contractor to inspect client vehicles when they are dropped off at a depot for transport to a port for shipping overseas - on average, I do 1 to 2 inspections per month. I am paid a flat fee for each vehicle inspection as a gross amount and do not receive any additional expenses such as petrol allowance.

The company for which I undertake the work is based interstate and I do all of my preparation (including receiving paperwork via email) at home. Then on the day of the appointment I drive to the transport depot to meet the customer, complete the vehicle inspection and related paperwork and the vehicle is handed over to the transport company.

Obviously I need to declare the gross amount I have been paid for each vehicle inspection.

As the transport company is not my official place of work (I don't really have a work place) can I claim a deduction for the use of my vehicle to drive to the transport depot to undertake the vehicle inspection, etc? If I am able to do so, I would use the cents per kilometre method to claim.

Also, as I am doing all of the work at home am I able to claim anything to cover the cost of printing the paperwork, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered

Cheers

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @marchred

If I understand correctly you are employed as a casual by your employer. So you don't work for yourself as such. If your base is your home and are using your own vehicle to earn your income then this should form a legitimate deduction true for whether your employed or as a sole trader. Your manner of payment makes me doubt the employment relationship however that is probably something more for Fair Work to comment on.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @marchred

If I understand correctly you are employed as a casual by your employer. So you don't work for yourself as such. If your base is your home and are using your own vehicle to earn your income then this should form a legitimate deduction true for whether your employed or as a sole trader. Your manner of payment makes me doubt the employment relationship however that is probably something more for Fair Work to comment on.