Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Can I claim work-related study tuition fees as a deduction even if I pay via FEE-HELP?

Highlighted

Views 8461

Replies 4

Hi,

I'm undertaking postgraduate study that is directly related to my employment.

I have established that my course does fit the basic criteria for eligibility to claim as self-education expenses (it is sufficiently related to my employment).

Can I claim the tuition fees and student-services fees as deductions, even though I am paying for them using FEE-HELP and SS-HELP loans?

I know I cannot claim the re-payments of these loans as deductions, but my understanding (that I am trying to have confirmed) is that I can claim the actual fee payment to the university just as though I was paying it from my own savings or a personal bank loan.

I've based my view on this page, but want to make sure I am reading it correctly: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Education-and-study/?

Thanks for your help,

asch246

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @asch246,

Thanks for your question for our Community!

While we can provide you with general information here, if you would like specific information relating to your circumstances you can contact our early engagement team to discuss your situation. You can complete the online form to request a call back or by submitting a request form.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @asch246,

Hopefully I have found something

Expenses you can claim

You can claim the following expenses in relation to your self-education:

• accommodation and meals (if away from home overnight)
  • computer consumables
  • course fees
  • decline in value for depreciating assets (cost exceeds $300)
  • purchase of equipment or technical instruments costing $300 or less
  • equipment repairs
  • fares
  • home office running costs
  • interest
  • internet usage (excluding connection fees)
  • parking fees (only for work-related claims)
  • phone calls
  • postage
  • stationery
  • student union fees
  • student services and amenities fees
  • textbooks
  • trade, professional, or academic journals
  • travel to-and-from place of education (only for work-related claims).

Expenses you can't claim

You cannot claim the following expenses in relation to your self-education:

• repayments of Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loans (although the fees paid by some HELP loans are)

This information was found via https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/income-and-deductions/deductions-you-can-claim/self-education-exp... , This is a different page to the one you added a link for.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi there Tracey74 and asch246,

I feel what Tracey 74 is pointing out that  course expenses can be claimed as a tax deduciotn.

But with an exception. If you are using the fee help system to pay for your courses, you have not paid for it out of your income - even if you make a compulsory repayment in your tax return.

So they thoes courses are not claimable, unless you pay for them out of pocket.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @asch246,

Thanks for your question for our Community!

While we can provide you with general information here, if you would like specific information relating to your circumstances you can contact our early engagement team to discuss your situation. You can complete the online form to request a call back or by submitting a request form.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi folks,

Thanks for your advice & help.

I have been able to find this document that says I am correct.

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?Mode=topic&TOC=%2205%3AIncome%20tax%3ADeductions%3AWork%20r...

I will however, be using the early engagement service to try and confirm this is still current and advise anyone else in my situation to do the same.

Regards,

Asch246