Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Can travel costs shared with friends be claimed for tax return

Views 425

Replies 1

Hi ATO,

My roommate sometimes drives me from home to my clients’ offices (not my working office) 1 to 3 times a week. And due to the COVID-19, my roommate sends me to my clients’ offices every day (round trip) now. I pay him part of the fuel costs periodically. I am wondering how can I claim such an expense for tax return?

Here are the key points of the expense:

1. The fuel bills were paid directly by my roommate, but I still transfer the money to him for the amount occurring during the trip sending me to work/picking me home.

2. I do not work in my company’s office, instead, I need to go to my clients’ offices 1-3 times per week. And those are the times the expenses occur.

3. When my roommate drops me off, he will drive back home since most of his activities are home based. Can I claim the costs for his return trip as I pay the fuel cost for that part too. And the same story when it comes to the fact that my roommate needs to leave home to pick me up from my clients’ offices when I’m off work.

What method should I use to record such an expense? Would the record of traveling time and distance be enough? Thank you very much in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

HI @Ggg 

The main blocker that you face is that the car is not yours and you aren't directly incurring the expense. Have a look at the information on claiming a deduction for car expenses;

If you use your own car in performing your work-related duties (including a car you lease or hire), you may be able to claim a deduction for car expenses.

You would not be able to claim a deduction for your roommates return trip.

KylieS

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

HI @Ggg 

The main blocker that you face is that the car is not yours and you aren't directly incurring the expense. Have a look at the information on claiming a deduction for car expenses;

If you use your own car in performing your work-related duties (including a car you lease or hire), you may be able to claim a deduction for car expenses.

You would not be able to claim a deduction for your roommates return trip.

KylieS