Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

Canadian working remotely for Canadian company while travelling on 417 (Working Holiday) Visa

Highlighted

Views 201

Replies 1

I am looking for an option to work remotely for my current job (Canadian company) while travelling through Australia for 3-6 months. I think I have to get a 417 (Working Holiday) Visa, but it seems to expect that I would be working locally for an Australian company. I would still be a Canadian Resident and paying Canadian Income Tax for my current job's income.

If I do get a 417 (Working Holiday) Visa, would I still need to fill out an Australian Income Tax, even if I'm working remotely for my current job in Canada and paying Canadian Income Tax? The pages here seem to refer to working locally for an Australian employer, which is why I'm not clear if my circumstances would be different: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Eric-S,

Sounds like you would be a non-resident in Australia for tax purposes.

If you're not an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are only taxed on your Australian-sourced income, so you don't need to declare income you receive from outside Australia in your Australian tax return.

KylieS

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Eric-S,

Sounds like you would be a non-resident in Australia for tax purposes.

If you're not an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are only taxed on your Australian-sourced income, so you don't need to declare income you receive from outside Australia in your Australian tax return.

KylieS