Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Cancel my lodgement with dodgy tax company

Highlighted

Views 626

Replies 2

Hi all. I recently lodged my tax return with a company (tax refund on spot) that I’ve since read reviews that they are dodgy and scam people out of there money. People are waiting over 6 weeks for their return when the ato says is completed. They are getting the money transferred to their account first and then taking fees and giving the customer a smaller amount.. I don’t know how I wasn’t smart enough to check the reviews first. It’s a instant tax return company. Although I’m waiting the “7-10 days” and only got $250 instantly but I really don’t have faith that I’ll be getting the rest of my return from them.

Is there a way I can call ATO and get them to cancel my lodgement with them so I can go to a better company or is my tax money lost forever ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Torimcewan,

Thanks for posting.

Once your tax return is processed and finalised, you’ll receive your Notice of Assessment (NOA).  Your NOA will show:

• your taxable income for the year
  • the tax payable on your taxable income, including any amounts already paid to the ATO during the year by your employer, and
  • whether you have received a tax refund or have an additional amount to pay.

As @ariellead mentioned, if you have a myGov account that is linked to our online services, you can check the progress of your return, as well as view your notice of assessment.

If you have questions about the way your tax agent processes their client’s tax refunds, you should speak to the Tax practitioner’s board (TPB). The TPB are responsible for the registration and regulation of tax practitioners, including tax practitioner compliance with the relevant legislation and Code of Professional Conduct.

Thanks, NicM.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @Torimcewan 

Tax from the layman's perspective is quite mysterious - hence why scammers are so involved in the industry.

A couple of questions;

Did the company get you to sign documents regarding the use of a trust account for any tax refunds?

Have you or any of the other clients received your Notice of Assessment (NoA) detailing the tax amounts including any you should have received?

Does the company stipulate their billing method, "$XXX upfront to lodge your tax" and was that included as part of the trust account documentation or as an invoice?

It's possible you would only have received a small return amount, just as it's entirely possible to get no refund or even a payable when you lodge a tax return, you need to get more clarity around the figures. 

If you haven't got an NoA you could request one from the ATO here

Your details should also be available on your myGov account

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Torimcewan,

Thanks for posting.

Once your tax return is processed and finalised, you’ll receive your Notice of Assessment (NOA).  Your NOA will show:

• your taxable income for the year
  • the tax payable on your taxable income, including any amounts already paid to the ATO during the year by your employer, and
  • whether you have received a tax refund or have an additional amount to pay.

As @ariellead mentioned, if you have a myGov account that is linked to our online services, you can check the progress of your return, as well as view your notice of assessment.

If you have questions about the way your tax agent processes their client’s tax refunds, you should speak to the Tax practitioner’s board (TPB). The TPB are responsible for the registration and regulation of tax practitioners, including tax practitioner compliance with the relevant legislation and Code of Professional Conduct.

Thanks, NicM.