Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Capital Gains on inheritance (shares) (company structure)

I'm new

Views 197

Replies 1

Hi, 

When receiving an inheritance of shares under a company structure that has other beneficiaries involved what capital gains tax will occur. 

If I transfer these shares under my own personal name will I have to pay capital gains tax twice? 

When the shares get transferred and then when they get sold later down the track? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Everlyjones123

Generally if an individual inherits shares, the market value is worked out from the date the person died. However, they are not reportable until the beneficiary sells or disposes of them. At this point the individual would need to declare a capital gain or loss on their return. 

We have information on our website about inheriting shares. If you still have questions you may write in to our early engagement team for further advice.

Links-

Deceased estates and capital gains tax. 

Early engagement team. 

All the best. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Everlyjones123

Generally if an individual inherits shares, the market value is worked out from the date the person died. However, they are not reportable until the beneficiary sells or disposes of them. At this point the individual would need to declare a capital gain or loss on their return. 

We have information on our website about inheriting shares. If you still have questions you may write in to our early engagement team for further advice.

Links-

Deceased estates and capital gains tax. 

Early engagement team. 

All the best.