Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Capital loss from selling shares

Highlighted

Views 866

Replies 5

Hi,

My previous employer gave me shares under a retention share scheme.
I sold the shares at loss and I'm unsure where to state it.

Events in chronological order:

2018-19 FY
October 2018 - Shares were allocated to me, vesting from 31 July 2019 over 5 years.
April 2019 - I was made redundant. At employment termination, it was up to the employer to decide if shares would vest or be re-allocated to the company. No decision was communicated to me. 

2019-20 FY
July 2019 - 20% of the shares vested. No communications were made.
September 2019 - I was informed by the share plan managers the remaining shares vested.
September 2019 - I sold all the shares (Gross Proceeds $12,560.06 ; Dealing and Administration Charges $68.40 ; Net Proceeds $12,491.66).
November 2019 - I was informed by the share plan managers the deferred taxing point is 2 April 2019 (previous FY) and the Taxable Value at Deferred Taxing Point is $13,246 ($754.34 above sale net proceeds).

I understand I now have to lodge a revised tax statement for the 2018-19 FY to include the $13,246 on item 12 F (employee share schemes - discount from deferral schemes).

However, I do not know where I need to state the $754.34 loss from the sale. I also don't know if I can include it on 2018-19 FY tax statement or if it needs to be on 2019-20 FY. I do not own any other investment / shares, therefore I'm not expecting to have any capital gains in the future.

Are you able to provide guidance on where and when to state the $754.34 loss?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 4

FY 2019-20 since that's the year you disposed of them.

Item 18 Capital Gains has a section to record your current year capital losses & carry forward capital losses.

You carry these losses forward and include them in subsequent returns until you use the losses.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 4

FY 2019-20 since that's the year you disposed of them.

Item 18 Capital Gains has a section to record your current year capital losses & carry forward capital losses.

You carry these losses forward and include them in subsequent returns until you use the losses.

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@TaxedoMask 

Wouldn't they have to amend their 2018-19 tax return?

Example 3

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

@macfanboy 

Yes, I assumed that would already occur per the original comment:

I understand I now have to lodge a revised tax statement for the 2018-19 FY to include the $13,246 on item 12 F (employee share schemes - discount from deferral schemes).

I was only addressing what to do with the sale and the resulting capital loss.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you for your reply TaxdoMask.
I do not have any other investments. Neither am I intending to have in the future.
Carry the losses forward will mean never using them. Do you know if there is any way of deducting the loss?
Thank you for your assistance.
Regards
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@HMMD 

Only against Capital gains.