ATO Community

Casual worker and jobseeker

Views 489

Replies 1

According to what ive filled out so far, i will be owing the ato money due to the fact that over summer (student) i worked more and was taxed accordingly/didnt receive benefits, but due to covid 19 my casual work has now been reduced to 3 hours a week/fornight and im not longer paying tax.

This means i now owe the ato money when im already kinda struggling to get by.
Im looking at NDIS funding atm but im assuming since its a new financial year this wont effect the medicare levy.

Does this sound right?
Ive never had to awe money before to the ato as a low income earner (collectively this year income was roughly $31000 with jobseeker/austudy and casual work, $1700 taxed)

Ive spent money too to try and continue studying online, is any of that tax deductable?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Zomo 

If you owe money when your tax is assessed, you will receive notification of how much money is owed and when it is due. If you can’t pay it by the due date, you can find help on this site. You may be able to set up a payment plan to pay it in instalments.

The Medicare levy upper threshold for most people is $28,501. An individual will not qualify for a Medicare levy reduction when their taxable income is over that amount.

To claim deductions related to self-education expenses you need to fit the eligibility requirements.

It is not possible to work out a tax liability without knowing all your details. I hope it is manageable for you when your tax is assessed.

Thanks for contacting us.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Zomo 

If you owe money when your tax is assessed, you will receive notification of how much money is owed and when it is due. If you can’t pay it by the due date, you can find help on this site. You may be able to set up a payment plan to pay it in instalments.

The Medicare levy upper threshold for most people is $28,501. An individual will not qualify for a Medicare levy reduction when their taxable income is over that amount.

To claim deductions related to self-education expenses you need to fit the eligibility requirements.

It is not possible to work out a tax liability without knowing all your details. I hope it is manageable for you when your tax is assessed.

Thanks for contacting us.