ATO Community

Centrelink debt

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 71

Replies 1

Hey,
Ok so I have had a huge Centrelink debt since 2014, it is around $13,000. The debt says that it is because I was paid to much for that year! I notice I hadn’t done my tax return for that year! The reason they said I was paid to much was because it had that I had a spouse in that year when I didn’t! So now that I have done my tax return for that year and when it balances up will I get my tax return from this year of $2000 that originally went straight to the debt! And the other $2000 that I have slowly paid over the last 4 years to pay the debt off?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chloew,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If an amendment has been lodged to a previous tax return to correct information, any money from overpayments of tax will be paid back to you.

However, we can't access your account here on community to check your account or you lodgments. Once your lodgments have been processed you'll need to check with Centrelink directly to see if the debt has been reduced or cleared.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chloew,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If an amendment has been lodged to a previous tax return to correct information, any money from overpayments of tax will be paid back to you.

However, we can't access your account here on community to check your account or you lodgments. Once your lodgments have been processed you'll need to check with Centrelink directly to see if the debt has been reduced or cleared.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors