• 158 Online
  • 23309 Members
  • 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Centrelink tax deductions

Ask a question

Views 28

Replies 2

While I was setting up my claim for Centrelink youth study allowance there was a section that asked me if I wanted to set up weekly tax deductions. The person helping was new and very impatient and so when I asked if I should take fortnightly tax deductions out of my pay he said to do so. I get paid $400 per fortnight and $20 has been taken from that for 6 months since I first made the claim. I know it might not seem like much but it makes a difference to me. I was then told later on that I did not have to be making these payments so I canceled them recently but is there any way I can get my money back. I have a $4000 robo-debt that I need to pay and am trying to find the money to do so. Haaalllpppp. 

- sincerely struggling uni student

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @toastie,

Just to add to @macfanboy's correct answer. If you have paid any extra tax and were due a refund it will be put towards your existing Commonwealth debts.

If you are struggling with paying your debt there is some information about payment plans on the Department of Human Services website that might be useful for you.

Thanks, NateH

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Any tax withheld will be applied to any outstanding tax debt.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @toastie,

Just to add to @macfanboy's correct answer. If you have paid any extra tax and were due a refund it will be put towards your existing Commonwealth debts.

If you are struggling with paying your debt there is some information about payment plans on the Department of Human Services website that might be useful for you.

Thanks, NateH

Top Solution Authors