• 19785 Posts

ATO Community

Change of refund amount

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 704

Replies 3

Hello I recently did my tax and my estimated return has since been almost halved! I'm unsure why this would happen. And am I able to lodge an appeal? It says that my original lodging was cancelled and then relodged with half the refund!! Why has this happened!?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

MVF
Devotee

Replies 0

You can lodge an objection against an assessment but you have to wait until it has issued, and then you will know the reasons why the ATO have made an adjustment.

Here is a link to how to object - https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Dispute-or-object-to-an-ATO-decision/Object-to-an-ATO-decision/How-to...

ATO individual line 13 28 61

3 REPLIES 3

Initiate

Replies 0

This also happened to me however it went from refund to a debt after it had been cancelled. All we can do unfortunately is wait for the notice of assessment and then sort it out. That’s what I was told by ATO. Fingers crossed everything works out for you! Good luck Smiley Happy

Best answer

MVF
Devotee

Replies 0

You can lodge an objection against an assessment but you have to wait until it has issued, and then you will know the reasons why the ATO have made an adjustment.

Here is a link to how to object - https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Dispute-or-object-to-an-ATO-decision/Object-to-an-ATO-decision/How-to...

ATO individual line 13 28 61

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Bishop92

Thanks for posting! @MVF is right - the status of your return may change multiple times in myTax while it's in processing, so it's best to wait until we issue your notice of assessment to see what the final outcome is. 

Once you receive your notice of assessment, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 3, then option 2 from the automated voice menu. 

It's worth keeping in mind that the information you receive when you finalise your lodgment in myTax is only an estimate. myTax can only provide an estimate based on what you enter into your return, so if there's additional information to consider (for example, if you have amounts owing with us or other government agencies, or if you forgot to include information from other payers) the estimate you receive may be different to your actual refund. 

Thanks!

Top Solution Authors