Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Claiming Asset Deductions

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 120

Replies 1

Hi! Having a bit of trouble figuring out how to claim my asset deductions! 

So in August last year I started my business as a sole trader (with a registered ABN), providing audio post-production services, although my primary source of income is still from a retail job. Earlier this year I purchased a bunch of equipment and software (microphones etc.) relevant to doing my business. 

As I understand it, I am UNABLE to claim the instant asset write for items under $300 for individuals as these items weren't purchased in the course of employ. I also took the PSI test and was told I received PSI but the PSI rules do not apply to me. 

My confusion is as a sole trader I complete my tax return as an individual, but do I qualify as a small business entity? and hence am able to claim on simpler depreciation for small business? Which means I am able to claim an instant asset write off of up to $150,000.

If this is the case I am unsure of how to claim the instant asset write off on MyTax, there are prompts saying that I may be eligible for the instant asset write off of up to $150,000 on the depreciation and capital allowances tool but I can't see the option for it. Or do I claim it under the deductions tab? as opposed to the Business/sole trader, partnership and trust income tab. 

Do I simply have it all wrong and must just claim these things on a diminishing/prime cost depreciating basis? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Thanks for posting @ajsound

On our site we have three methods that you can use to help you work out if you're a small business for the income year.

If you are a small business for the income year please read the instant asset write-off eligibility requirements and thresholds. Before completing your return make sure that the assets you wish to claim are not on the excluded assets list. You will claim it as a deduction, at the bottom of the instant asset write-off page there are a number of examples which clearly explain how and where to record these amounts.

If you are not a small business but a sole trader have a look at claiming deductions when receiving personal services income. We have information on allowable deductions when receiving personal services income as well.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Thanks for posting @ajsound

On our site we have three methods that you can use to help you work out if you're a small business for the income year.

If you are a small business for the income year please read the instant asset write-off eligibility requirements and thresholds. Before completing your return make sure that the assets you wish to claim are not on the excluded assets list. You will claim it as a deduction, at the bottom of the instant asset write-off page there are a number of examples which clearly explain how and where to record these amounts.

If you are not a small business but a sole trader have a look at claiming deductions when receiving personal services income. We have information on allowable deductions when receiving personal services income as well.

Hope this helps!