ATO Community

Claiming Study Related Expenses

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 371

Replies 1

Hello.
Just need some clarification regarding claiming student related expenses. I am currently studying a masters degree of learning and teaching. My employment is retail, however, I am making preparations to transition into the learning and development side of the company upon the completion of my degree. So my studies are in preparation to advance in my current occupation even though they are not currently related. Am I able to claim study expenses?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Balthazar64,

Welcome to our Community!

To be able to claim self-education expenses as a deduction in your tax return, the course needs to have a direct connection to your current work activities as an employee. Your study needs to relate to your employment at the time you're undertaking the study and a deduction can't be claimed for a course that is in preparation for future employment.

You can find further information about claiming self-education expenses on our website or you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Balthazar64,

Welcome to our Community!

To be able to claim self-education expenses as a deduction in your tax return, the course needs to have a direct connection to your current work activities as an employee. Your study needs to relate to your employment at the time you're undertaking the study and a deduction can't be claimed for a course that is in preparation for future employment.

You can find further information about claiming self-education expenses on our website or you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors