Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Class action shareholder settlement

Highlighted

Views 629

Replies 2

I have received a payout as a result of a shareholder class action settlement. I have previously claimed a capital loss for these shares as thay are no longer worth anything (not tradable). How is the settlement treated tax wise? I am assuming the original capital loss is reduced by the settlement amount and accounted for in capital losses carried forward. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Billy11

It depends on what the settlement amount was for. The approach you suggest is appropriate if the whole amount is for compensation for loss of the shares.

Also, keep in mind that the capital loss that you claimed for the worthless shares needed to have met the relevant requirements for claiming the capital loss in that year.

NicolaC

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Billy11,

We will look into this one and get back to you.

KylieS

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Billy11

It depends on what the settlement amount was for. The approach you suggest is appropriate if the whole amount is for compensation for loss of the shares.

Also, keep in mind that the capital loss that you claimed for the worthless shares needed to have met the relevant requirements for claiming the capital loss in that year.

NicolaC