Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: Completing very old paperwork

Views 62

Replies 1

logged onto Mygov and it told me that there was outstanding paperwork from the 2001/2 tax year. It took about 4 phone calls to the ATO to finally get someone that was able to dig deep enough to find out why.
It seems that I had paid provisional tax in a previous year, and apparently did not earn anything that year, but may not have filed a “no income earned” return. It’s 20 years ago - difficult to remember and well past keeping records. The person suggested that I file a 2000/1 return indicating “no income” and that would free up the several thousand dollars sitting in my tax account.

I have dug into the ATO website and found the 2001 individual return forms. But there I get confused.
Do I just file a “2001 non-lodgement advise” - is sufficient to trigger the repayment.
If not, then it would appear that I would have to file a 2001 tax return for individuals. However that indicates that I need to specify (potentially) under item I (total supplement income or loss) for the overpayment.
Can anyone advise that the appropriate paperwork sequence is to get this done (the right way). I have asked my regular tax agent, but she said she can't do things that far back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Hi @RetiredGirl 

I'm sorry you had to call 4 times. I hope I can help.

What was Provisional tax is now called Pay as You Go Instalments.  In the 2001 taxpack page 2 - Do you have to lodge a tax return? It says:

You need to lodge if you were an Australian resident for tax
purposes (see page 7) and any of the following applied to you:
• You were required to lodge an activity statement under the Pay As You Go (PAYG) system and pay an instalment amount during the year, and that amount has not been fully refunded to you.

Therefore, lodge a tax return, not a Non-Lodgement Advice. If your income was $0 then put in $0 in the income section. You don't include instalment amounts on the return. The ATO will already have a record of the Pay as You Go instalment amounts. You will also see that you are not asked to include the instalments in the Tax Pack instructions in any section. The only place you find them is on page 116 step 9, as part of the calculations page (for informational purposes). 

Tax return 2001

Supplementary Tax Pack 2001

It may take up to 50 business days to process the paper return. Sign and date it. It will say on the return to put the words "in your capital city" in the address. However, nowadays you can put your own actual capital city in your state into the mailing address.

Hope this helps

This is my personal view; I'm an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Hi @RetiredGirl 

I'm sorry you had to call 4 times. I hope I can help.

What was Provisional tax is now called Pay as You Go Instalments.  In the 2001 taxpack page 2 - Do you have to lodge a tax return? It says:

You need to lodge if you were an Australian resident for tax
purposes (see page 7) and any of the following applied to you:
• You were required to lodge an activity statement under the Pay As You Go (PAYG) system and pay an instalment amount during the year, and that amount has not been fully refunded to you.

Therefore, lodge a tax return, not a Non-Lodgement Advice. If your income was $0 then put in $0 in the income section. You don't include instalment amounts on the return. The ATO will already have a record of the Pay as You Go instalment amounts. You will also see that you are not asked to include the instalments in the Tax Pack instructions in any section. The only place you find them is on page 116 step 9, as part of the calculations page (for informational purposes). 

Tax return 2001

Supplementary Tax Pack 2001

It may take up to 50 business days to process the paper return. Sign and date it. It will say on the return to put the words "in your capital city" in the address. However, nowadays you can put your own actual capital city in your state into the mailing address.

Hope this helps

This is my personal view; I'm an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time