Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Correct ATO spelling error

Views 93

Replies 2

I look after all paperwork matters for a Thai lady and her children, when registering one child with Services Australia, I was asked for the mother's statement of income, so the accountant sent me the last Notice of Assessment, I have only just realised the surname has an additional A in it, the name is shown as ####A#A## with the first A not needed. All documents held for her have correct spelling and so when I arranged for her name change back to her maiden name I would have supplied a document correctly shown, so I cannot complete a change of name form as it is not a change of name it is simply a correction that is needed and with luck the ATO would be able to look up what was supplied (if there was a way I can get through to them, which is my question).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Hoot

In most cases if we've made a mistake inputting an individuals name we can adjust that without needing a submitted form. If the individual has a myGov account linked with the ATO they can also make this change online.  You can follow the steps on our website running through how to change your name. If you cannot complete this online, the owner of the account with the incorrect name will need to contact us and we should be able to change that over the phone. You can be there on the phone with them if required, however we will need to verify their identity first. If there's any issues completing this over the phone our operative you speak with will advise of the next step. Best area to call is our individuals area. The number is available on our contact us page under individual enquiries. 

If you cannot complete either of the above options, a change of details form will be required. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions. 

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Hoot

In most cases if we've made a mistake inputting an individuals name we can adjust that without needing a submitted form. If the individual has a myGov account linked with the ATO they can also make this change online.  You can follow the steps on our website running through how to change your name. If you cannot complete this online, the owner of the account with the incorrect name will need to contact us and we should be able to change that over the phone. You can be there on the phone with them if required, however we will need to verify their identity first. If there's any issues completing this over the phone our operative you speak with will advise of the next step. Best area to call is our individuals area. The number is available on our contact us page under individual enquiries. 

If you cannot complete either of the above options, a change of details form will be required. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions. 

Replies 0

Thanks Ethan I will print your response and see how I go.