Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Dependents living overseas

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 189

Replies 1

Hi . Due to personal reasons my children and I are living in Italy , my husband who lives and works in Australia is financially supporting us . Are we still considered his dependents ? I don’t work here so he is fully supporting us . He works long term contracts rural and remote so he lives onsite and visits us at the end of each contract . Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @clara1965 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

For the Medicare levy exemption (but not for the Medicare levy reduction), dependant means an Australian resident you maintained who was:

• your spouse
  • your child under 21 years old
  • your child, 21–24 years old receiving full-time education at a school, college or university whose adjusted taxable income for the period was less than the total of $282 plus $28.92 for each week you maintained them.

Maintenance of a dependant

You maintained a dependant if any of the following applied:

• you both lived in the same house
  • you gave them food, clothing and lodging
  • you helped them to pay for their living, medical and educational costs.

If you had a spouse for the whole income year and your spouse worked at any time during the income year, we will still consider you to have maintained your spouse as a dependant for the whole income year.

If the two of you were temporarily separated, for example, due to holidays or overseas travel, we still consider you to have maintained a dependant.

If the parents of a child lived separately and apart for all, or part, of the income year and the child was a dependant of each of them, the child is treated as an equal dependant of each parent (irrespective of the number of days the child was in each parent’s care).

However, if a parent receives Family Tax Benefit Part A for the child, the child is a dependant of that parent for the number of days they were in their care.

For more information you can look at our webpage: Dependants for Medicare levy exemption. 

For more further definitions about dependants and adjusted taxable income go to: Adjusted taxable income (ATI) for you and your dependants 2020 | Australian Taxation Office

During these difficult times, if you are in need the government also has a range of ways to assist depending on what would be best for you and what you are eligible for you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia depending on your personal circumstances or even consider an early release of superannuation.

I hope this information helps you and you remain safe and well during this difficult time.

MariR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @clara1965 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

For the Medicare levy exemption (but not for the Medicare levy reduction), dependant means an Australian resident you maintained who was:

• your spouse
  • your child under 21 years old
  • your child, 21–24 years old receiving full-time education at a school, college or university whose adjusted taxable income for the period was less than the total of $282 plus $28.92 for each week you maintained them.

Maintenance of a dependant

You maintained a dependant if any of the following applied:

• you both lived in the same house
  • you gave them food, clothing and lodging
  • you helped them to pay for their living, medical and educational costs.

If you had a spouse for the whole income year and your spouse worked at any time during the income year, we will still consider you to have maintained your spouse as a dependant for the whole income year.

If the two of you were temporarily separated, for example, due to holidays or overseas travel, we still consider you to have maintained a dependant.

If the parents of a child lived separately and apart for all, or part, of the income year and the child was a dependant of each of them, the child is treated as an equal dependant of each parent (irrespective of the number of days the child was in each parent’s care).

However, if a parent receives Family Tax Benefit Part A for the child, the child is a dependant of that parent for the number of days they were in their care.

For more information you can look at our webpage: Dependants for Medicare levy exemption. 

For more further definitions about dependants and adjusted taxable income go to: Adjusted taxable income (ATI) for you and your dependants 2020 | Australian Taxation Office

During these difficult times, if you are in need the government also has a range of ways to assist depending on what would be best for you and what you are eligible for you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia depending on your personal circumstances or even consider an early release of superannuation.

I hope this information helps you and you remain safe and well during this difficult time.

MariR