Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Does payment for a study expense need to be in my name?

I'm new

Views 520

Replies 1

Hello

I need to pay a study expense which I intend to claim next year as a deduction.

The payment requires BPay. My current bank does not have BPay.

Can I use my partner's account to pay the expense via BPay and then claim it as my own deduction next year?

The invoice for the study expense is in my name. I could provide evidence that I have transferred my partner the money. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tanton,

Providing the invoice is in your name, it doesn't matter if someone else has physically used their account to pay for it and you reimburse them - you can still claim the deduction, as described on our information page about deductions. You will need to claim it within the year the purchase was made - so if the item was purchased this financial year, it would need to be claimed in the 2020 - 2021 tax return after June 31 next year. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tanton,

Providing the invoice is in your name, it doesn't matter if someone else has physically used their account to pay for it and you reimburse them - you can still claim the deduction, as described on our information page about deductions. You will need to claim it within the year the purchase was made - so if the item was purchased this financial year, it would need to be claimed in the 2020 - 2021 tax return after June 31 next year.