Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Doing tax online vs with accountant

Views 576

Replies 3

I did my tax with an accountant however I owed less money if I did it online myself - I lodged my claim online. Will it effect me or charge me due to seeing an accountant too?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@kaci 

It all basically boils down to exactly what you and your accountant claimed for.

Was all your deduction legit ones?

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@kaci 

It all basically boils down to exactly what you and your accountant claimed for.

Was all your deduction legit ones?

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @kaci

I don't quite understand, did you submit a return with a tax agent or online yourself?

It is up to you how you do your taxes you can use a tax agent if you wish or complete them yourself if you feel confident. If completing the return yourself ensure you have read all questions carefully and have disclosed all necessary information.

There are many reasons as to why when you completed it yourself you owed less money. You need to ensure that you have declared all your necessary income, claimed the appropriate deductions and offsets. You need to check that you have provided us with all the necessary and correct information in your return.

All the best!

Replies 0

I saw an agent this morning who stated I owed x amount this return, however when I checked online the amount was a lot lower - and I had claimed the exact same items I claimed this morning with an agent so I submitted my lodge online however I did see an agent prior.