Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Education expenses

Highlighted

Views 969

Replies 9

Can i claim accomadation expenses (rent) as a deduction under my education expenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@wiz 

12 weeks does look very excessive and will certainly raise a few questions with the ATO.

I have never seen such a high number of days/weeks spent on self-education, even with overseas trips.

If there are any private days then yes split the accommodation, but not if they are merely incidental.

I think that you should discuss this with a Tax Professional and get a private ruling if required from the ATO, which is free.

Why would you have to spend so much time away?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 8

@wiz 

It all depends on if the study was directly related to your current employment and why the accommodation was required.

Highlighted

Replies 7

Maintain and improve knowledge and skills, along with possibility of increased income from current work activities. The accomodation is for stay away from home overnight at school housing.

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 6

@wiz 

Are these expenses a once-off or are they part of a certificate/diploma you are studying for?

Highlighted

Replies 5

Part of certificate/diploma

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 4

@wiz 

As long as you have all the receipts then yes they should be claimable.

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/IND/Downloads/self-education-expenses.pdf

Highlighted

Replies 3

Does number of days or weeks spent at this accomodation make a difference? ie a 12 week period, if so would apportionating the days into private and business be possible? 

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@wiz 

12 weeks does look very excessive and will certainly raise a few questions with the ATO.

I have never seen such a high number of days/weeks spent on self-education, even with overseas trips.

If there are any private days then yes split the accommodation, but not if they are merely incidental.

I think that you should discuss this with a Tax Professional and get a private ruling if required from the ATO, which is free.

Why would you have to spend so much time away?

Highlighted

Replies 1

Makes focusing on studies easier, less stress more productive
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@wiz 

Then no, none of the accommodation expenses are claimable.

It is not a requirement but a choice by the taxpayer.