Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Expat returning to Australia temporarily

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 333

Replies 1

Hi there! I moved overseas and have been living and working there for 8 years now. I notified the ATO and bank etc of my status and had no problems there.
In December, I intend to return to live in Australia for 3-4 months — perhaps even longer — to care for my ageing grandmother. Given that I could be in Australia for an extended period of time and without much savings, I am considering my options for a source of income — be it a carers allowance from Centrelink, a casual job, or both.

What I’d like to know is:

1) What can I do now to get the ball rolling before I move back temporarily in December?

2) What do I declare my tax status in Australia as? I am an Australian citizen, born and raised in Australia.

3) Any other useful information would be great.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Emily333,

Welcome to our Community!

1. In terms of getting set up on Centrelink you will most likely need to discuss this with the Department of Human Services you can probably have a look at the criteria for the carer's payment on their website

2. We have a tool that helps you work out your residency for tax purposes

3. We have some information on income you need to declare and deductions you can claim if you end up working when you get back

When you're back, if you have any other questions just post them on here and we'll happily help out!

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Emily333,

Welcome to our Community!

1. In terms of getting set up on Centrelink you will most likely need to discuss this with the Department of Human Services you can probably have a look at the criteria for the carer's payment on their website

2. We have a tool that helps you work out your residency for tax purposes

3. We have some information on income you need to declare and deductions you can claim if you end up working when you get back

When you're back, if you have any other questions just post them on here and we'll happily help out!

Thanks, NateH